WR426 vs. DRZ400E vs. KTM400EXC

Originally posted by NH Kevin:

Darryl, you and Randy are absolutely radical(Canadian) madmen. Do you guys spend much time on a scale, weighing things? :)

Kev, don't tar me with that brush....Darryl's the 'Curious George'! I was happy NOT knowing how much extra I was lugging around.

I think the whole thing is bogus anyway, 'cause that 10oz flywheel weight I put on must add 4lbs at LEAST.

Maybe your bud filled his tires with helium that would explain the whole thing.

Hey We have a lot of crappy weather up here in the cold white north. So I spend time on Thumper-Talk, chase the wife around the house, and then to kill time get together with riding buds drink whisky, and weigh things.

------------------

400 EXC--stock&great

YAMAHA 250--sold

250 sherco

z4me, reveal your real name you sissy!!! :D I haven't crashed on my KTM yet! (Of course simple tip overs and bobbles don't count :D ) I did take one hell of a crash on my WR400 out at Beaumont though, and got a $6,400.00 dollar helicopter ride to the ER for a broken back!

It was in no way the bikes fault though, and

my insurance covered the whole thing too. :D

I don't know where you get off saying I'm such a crasher, as I've managed to rack up quite a few top three or better finishes including 5 first place wins in the last couple of months. I'd like to hear about all your winnings as of late! Oh, I forgot, you probably ride one of those blue HEAVY beasts! :) Erik

Crashing, Is that a bad thing?? I feel that if I dont crash at least once every other ride Im not really pushing myself. I want to get stonger and faster and there's no better way of telling you. Dont get me wrong, I hate to crash and pain sucks, but im not the kind of guy that sits down all the time and tries to avoid crashing.

Eric, I trust your opinion on the whole KTM VS Yamaha issue and if you're anything like the others in RUTS im sure you're a nice and honest guy. Please be honest, Dont you think that SOME of you guys ride orange just to be different?? I mean I would'nt blame you, even I get tired of seeing blue everywhere. My WR426 isnt that original but the KTM is a little more unique. I think that the magic button takes alot of intimidation out of riding such a tall fast bike and guys feel more comfortable riding a bike that they could start with no procedure.

I've raced 2 Best in the Desert races so far this year, both races were dead engine starts, one in Laughlin and the other in Vegas, both races were loaded with KTM's and Yamaha's on the starting line. From a dead engine start I took hole shot at both races, Im no pro and that's not my point here, the point is that I could start my Yamahard faster than ALL the KTM's I've ever been faced with. I should add that I started IN GEAR, so I guess this whole starting thing has been blown WAY out of porportion just like the cost of owning a Katoom!! Peace Bro.. :)

[This message has been edited by Dan Lorenze (edited 07-24-2001).]

Originally posted by So Cal Erik:

z4me, reveal your real name you sissy!!! :D I haven't crashed on my KTM yet! (Of course simple tip overs and bobbles don't count :D ) I did take one hell of a crash on my WR400 out at Beaumont though, and got a $6,400.00 dollar helicopter ride to the ER for a broken back!

It was in no way the bikes fault though, and

my insurance covered the whole thing too. :D

I don't know where you get off saying I'm such a crasher, as I've managed to rack up quite a few top three or better finishes including 5 first place wins in the last couple of months. I'd like to hear about all your winnings as of late! Oh, I forgot, you probably ride one of those blue HEAVY beasts! :) Erik

Just busting on you buddy - can't you take it? I can give and I can take - and I'd be the first to admit that I am no great racer.

...and I ride the 250F - may be heavy but it is lighter than your 400SX.

Flame on,

- Sean

250f Come on bring it on over and we'll weigh it. The one in the show room doesn,t feel lighter than my 400 EXC. The dealer wouldn't let me bring my trusty scale in to weigh one. Rats. Now if you want to be more unique,and have even a lighter bike than the KTM lets go look at the new E-button Husaberg. HMMMM Maby next year. :)

------------------

400 EXC--stock&great

YAMAHA 250--sold

250 sherco

WR250F: YZ plastic, FMF4Q silencer, Moose Handguards, WER steering damper, Moose HD tubes, ODO removed, Renthals, wet no gas - 235lbs on my trusty bathroom scale. The scale weighs me accurately according to my doctor and I am only 20 lbs lighter. I weighed it by placing one wheel at a time on the scale and raising the other wheel to the height of the scale.

Sorry, I don't have a trip to the Great White North planned for the near future so you can confirm my findings.

- Sean

Hey Sean, I hate to burst your bubble, but my 400SX only weighs 231 lbs wet(no gas), so

your 250f is still heavier. I do think that the 250f is a fun bike to ride though, I just wish that Yamaha would make them easier to start so I could justify having one to race in the 125 class. Erik

So it is 5 lbs lighter than they spec? http://www.ktmusa.com/2001_specs/sp400sx.htm

Maybe we should all go up to Canada to weigh them...

BTW: Only on my first ride on this did I have ANY trouble starting it.

- Sean

[This message has been edited by z4me (edited 07-25-2001).]

So the 400 SX is approx 30 pounds lighter than the EXC?I guess E start, 6spd tranny and lights,barkbusters=30 lbs :)

Now Now boys. That is why we always use the same scale. You can easily have 10 lbs difference using different scales. My EXC was weighed with bark busters, skid plate, and tool bag on rear fender, so the weight does not reflect specs published by KTM. Someone can correct my on this, but i think the SX400 is about 10-12 lbs. lighter than the EXC, which puts it a few lbs. lighter than my YZ 250. Now go to your Yamaha dealer, and NO way is the 250F lighter than the 2-stroke. Hmm. Very interesting. :)

------------------

400 EXC--stock&great

YAMAHA 250--sold

250 sherco

I have owned a KTM 200 and a WR400 currently and I would have to say KTM make better race bikes as they require almost no mods and feel far lighter than Yamahas. KTMs have a far higher build quality and are dripping with quality components(parts are no more expensive).

Saying all this I still decided on the WR after looking closely at the 520 & 400 EXCs.

My decision was mainly based on the warranty KTM supplies.It is as good as toilet paper as far as I am concirned. KTM will not warranty a 400/520 EXC if it is ridden on the road or extended periods at high speed (Trail Riding)this does not give me much faith in the bikes longevity. Also a friend of mine has boiling problems with his 520 in the Summer and slow going.

Tony Kirby broke the Trans Australia crossing record on a 98 WR400 with no problems (100 MPH all the way, I,d like to see a 520 do that and survive)

Go for the reliability (WRs = bulletproof)unless you only plan to race it and keep it for a short time.

I forgot to mention the Ti-lightweight bolt kit from Factory R&D,and their lighter than stock tripleclamps(made out of scandium), and pro-circuit exhaust. Total weight savings almost 5 lbs. Erik

I though you KTM guys didn't need to change anything on your bikes!! :)

I think he was refering to normal wear items,or crash related items. But after 2 seasons of abuse my KTM has been comparable to the Yamahas I ride with on the reliability end,and when averaged out parts have actually been slightly cheaper than Yam. stuff(at least here in Canada).

------------------

400 EXC--stock&great

YAMAHA 250--sold

250 sherco

...it's all in fun guys. I think the KaTooMs are awesome. One may very well be my next bike. That 200EXC at 213lbs I could lift onto my shoulder and walk across anything I couldn't ride :) Still, I am also extremely satisfied with my WR purchase. I wouldn't have regretted either.

- Sean

I have a '01 DRZ400e. The e-start is awesome... I love it. The suspension is too soft so I had MX-Tech redo it. Now the suspension is awesome also, probably almost as good as a wr/yz. I believe the DRZ is a superior all-around bike... i.e. trails, dual purpose etc.

But the wr is superior for mx oriented use.

One thing I always notice in these discussions is that whenever someone is in a decision mode about buying a WR and voices concern about hard starting, everyone says "I dont have problems... even after a wipe out". The point is, many (MANY) have found it difficult at times to get a WR lit up. Its a fact that alot of people find it hard, even following the drill. This is not a secret, not on this forum, or any forum, or any magazine. By the same token, many DO NOT find them hard to start. So its kind of misleading to say "no problem", when many have had problems. That is why the 2002 WR/YZ made carb changes, to allow easier starting. So don't infer that no problems exist because you dont have one starting the beast. BTW, this is the deciding factor why I chose the DRZ. If the '02 Blue proves to be a substantial fix then next year or two I'll be aboard Team Blue as well.

Ballistic,

I agree that a lot of people have trouble starting the beast, but remember the introduction of the 400f's brought many new riders to the 4-stroke market, including 2-stroke riders and smaller riders. Many of these first time 4-stroke riders have a difficult time with starting. If you compare it to a 2-stroke the YZ/WR is definitely harder to fire and obviously falls short to the magic button. I think if you were to ask veteran big bore 4-stroke riders about starting you will get a different take, thus explaining the descrepency of experiences. I don't think it is necessarily a "problem" but more that it is the nature of the beast. This is a high compression, short stroked motor without automatic compression release. I will hold to my guns and repeat that the YZ/WR's are the easiest, non-electric 4-stroke to start that I have ever owned, hot or cold, and I have owned many.

Having said all that, would I be unhappy with an e-start on my YZ....hell no! I am jealous of the KTM/DRZ button. :)

Keith

Originally posted by kmcbride:

Ballistic,

I agree that a lot of people have trouble starting the beast, but remember the introduction of the 400f's brought many new riders to the 4-stroke market, including 2-stroke riders and smaller riders. Many of these first time 4-stroke riders have a difficult time with starting. If you compare it to a 2-stroke the YZ/WR is definitely harder to fire and obviously falls short to the magic button. I think if you were to ask veteran big bore 4-stroke riders about starting you will get a different take, thus explaining the descrepency of experiences. I don't think it is necessarily a "problem" but more that it is the nature of the beast. This is a high compression, short stroked motor without automatic compression release. I will hold to my guns and repeat that the YZ/WR's are the easiest, non-electric 4-stroke to start that I have ever owned, hot or cold, and I have owned many.

Having said all that, would I be unhappy with an e-start on my YZ....hell no! I am jealous of the KTM/DRZ button. :)

Keith

I totally agree!!