Sign in to follow this  

Wambaw Update?

Anyone have any new info on the opening of Wambaw? It seems like forever.

Thanks

I just talked to the lady in the offfice and she said to keep calling but it's looking like the first of Jan. I can't imagine what is taking so long. :cry:

i went out there last week...dec 19...just to see wat was up and there was still LOT to be done. there was stuff all over the place...but it looks like theyre goin to fence the whole place in and put in a "gravel" parking lot..mixed with a lot of sand. i also heard that they were goin to put in a 2 mile practice/warm-up loop. the restrooms still werent finished. but from the looks of it i dont see how it could possibly open by the first of dec. however the Family Riders Club said they are goin to have the enduro race whether or not the trails are open. so i guess we will just have to wait and see :cry:

I have heard the Jan 1st date, the USFS/Francis Marion Forest website says mid January. The enduro is a go, according to assurances of the USFS by direct contact. If you plan on riding the enduro, be prepared for specific parking instructions. The trailhead is smaller, the Daytona banked curves are gone, and space will be at a premium. For a preview of what we hope will accomodate the enduro parking needs, check out www.familyriders.net , 12/11/04 post, link "map".

As far as the hold-up, there are some theories around, none that I have substantiated. Why they didnt do this during the summer, when riders are few, is beyond me.

The end result should be a great improvement. Running water, permanent toilets. The warmup will not be 2 miles, much much shorter, better left to the kids. The onsite USFS host should be good thing, "encouraging" folks to check out the 40 miles of trail, instead of spending the day at the trailhead.

Folks abusing the trail and trailhead, off-trail riding and mud bogging have caused this project, previous closure and repairs, extending the closures, and MAKING NEW TRAIL UNHEARD OF.

Its not only your riding time lost, its also you taxes paying to repair and re-repair damage caused by abuse. The minimal fee charged to ride doesnt even come close to

covering the $266K spent on this project alone. This project is about 90% repair and redesign to combat abuse, and about 10% to improvements.

With the other USFS controlled SC trails closing January 3rd, and Manchester closed with rumors rampant, Wambaw will be the only legal public land to ride when it reopens, until the other USFS trails come off of seasonal closure.

If you want to complain about something, complain about seasonal closures in the Sumter Forest {Enoree, Parsons Mountain,Cedar Springs}, based on "possible wet conditions", as opposed to closures due to actual conditions that cause trail damage when used. Wambaw doesnt have seasonal closures, and it provides the the only USFS public OHV trails in SC when the others are closed. Numbers of riders at Wambaw explode every January when the other trails close.

Complain about the Sandhills Trails, lost in bureaucracy, 50 miles already laid out, waiting on SC Fish and Wildlife, last I heard.

Complain about increased law enforcement at all public trails. Consistent, regular, fair law enforcement is needed. USFS trails need the same reputation as Manchester{SC state run}, that illegal behaviour is not tolerated. As long as abusers have little fear of consequences, abuse will be rampant.

Robert

I jumped on the trails last week. I rode most of the North loop. The trails are great they need to ridden very bad.

I called the Columbia office and was told that the trails wont be open until the stageing area is complete. I was also told that the reason for the delay was the contractor. The person that I spoke with said that they have had alot of unhappy people calling very upset wanting answers when the trails are going to open.

I suggested to him that they open the trails and use the Honey Hill Campground as a temporary staging area until all of the construction is completed. He told me that they had considered this, however with all of the politics involved it would never happen in time. He said that it will probably be mid January as stated before the Wambaw opens again.

I think that there is another reason that it hasnt already opened. I think that they are using the storms and the construction as an excuse. I think that they want to use this area for hunting. It is a strange coincidence that it is scheduled to open after hunting season. I have also been told that they would like to close this permantly and turn it into hunting land.

The hunting that takes place at Wambaw is measured in days, resulting in occasional closures of a single loop, and both loops once to twice a year. The only hunting in Wambaw is dog drives, and the schedule for closings is here. Each year the dates are different, but the closings are similar.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/fms/forest/news/2004/FMS0418.shtml

Why they have to hunt on the cycle trails, with the hundreds of thousands of acres available there confounds me.

The contractor is to blame for at least some of the delays. The storms happened before the start of construction, maybe delaying the start. My understanding is that the original contract called for a completion by Nov 15th. I think adjustments were made, hence the USFS posting of the mid December reopening.

As far as closing Wambaw, not for the few days that the area is hunted. Now, closing for continued expenditures to repair and re-repair abuse, that might hold some water.... remember that when it reopens, and the same folks start pulling the same

$#!t. But to drop more than 1/4 million dollars, just to permanently close it for hunting, isnt going to happen.

As far as opening Honey Hill as temporary access, that was suggested before construction, to no effect.

As far as "jumping on the trails", they are closed. Very irresponsible. Very punishable, with a fine of up to $500 per violation. Very good reason, non-compliance is the term they use for illegal riding, to keep the 17 miles of additional trail, ribboned and GPS'd 6 years ago, from being opened. The USFS WILL NOT CONSIDER ALLOWING THE NEW TRAIL BECAUSE OF NON-COMPLIANCE. Hope you had fun.

Robert

As far as "jumping on the trails", they are closed. Very irresponsible. Very punishable, with a fine of up to $500 per violation. Very good reason, non-compliance is the term they use for illegal riding, to keep the 17 miles of additional trail, ribboned and GPS'd 6 years ago, from being opened. The USFS WILL NOT CONSIDER ALLOWING THE NEW TRAIL BECAUSE OF NON-COMPLIANCE. Hope you had fun.

Robert

And people wonder why trails get closed!!!!

:cry::cry::cry::lol:;);):cry::cry::lol::D:D:D:D:D;);)