My casing has a crack on it, and is leaking oil!!! SCARED!!

Hey guys,

The other day, me and some friends went riding near the hills close to my house. My buddy nick went to a rocky moutain bike trail, and i assume he had fallen, and the case that is on the left side bike, has a crack now. It leaks a small amount of oil. The crack is loacated a litttle left of the mud cover on the front sprocket.

I have herd that i can do a JB weld on it, but i have also herd that it may not be succesful do to the heat.

Any help would be greatly appreacted

JB Weld will hold up *if* you properly clean and prep the area to be patched.

It is strong stuff and many an engine builder has used JB Weld in porting and polishing heads, etc. That being said, heat is not an issue.

Just clean the area to be patched with brake parts cleaner to get it degreased. Use liberally.

Make sure that there are no bits of metal that are loose or that could fall off with little effort. Once the area is prepped, weld 'er up with JB Weld.

My buddies and me use jbweld all the time it should hold up no problem. Do to the type of metal the the engine cases are made of you can't really weld them back, it doesn't hold and the heat from the weld you usualy wind up with a bigger hole then when you started cause it kind of fatiges the the metal. That is from personal expirence.

My buddies and me use jbweld all the time it should hold up no problem. Do to the type of metal the the engine cases are made of you can't really weld them back, it doesn't hold and the heat from the weld you usualy wind up with a bigger hole then when you started cause it kind of fatiges the the metal. That is from personal expirence.

So are u saying that will hold for a little while? Also if i were to take it off, could i get it powder coated?

Also this JB weld. is it expensive?

I JB welded a cracked cylinder head on an '89 Tracer. I purchased the car new and at about 80,000 miles the head cracked from the valve gasket surface straight down about 3". I ground the crack on both sides with a drummel, degreased and sealed with JB weld. I sold the car with 182,000 miles on it and the crack was still oil tight. I think it will work fine.