Sign in to follow this  

info on 85 tt600

i just got an 85 tt 600. what a torque monster. i cant believe its easier to start than my yz426f. anyway i just wanted to know if anybody had any tips for me. where to get parts, what to watch out for, cool aftermarket gizmos etc etc etc. any info or advice would be appreciated.

oh yeah could i race 80s class mx on this beast or would i be better off sticking to hare scrambles.

thanks

Hello there,

I have had friends with these bikes and there is a small sieve at the bottom of the oil tank that needs to be cleaned regularly or oil pressure is lost and expensive repairs follow-good luck!

Brandon.

I got 3, 83, 84 and 86. fork spring, bike is so heavy it dives to much. there is no aftermarket stuff for these things anymore, only thing is a leather white gas tank over i think ims make is, it says tt in red, makes an old whiteish yellow tank look new. supertrapp is the only muffler i know also. thats about it. dont use it for mx, only off road, tight woods it likes best.

fzr, yeah i thought the front end felt kinda mushy, but i havent had the chance to push it yet. can progressive cut me springs, or do i just have to put heavy oil in and hope for the best? thanks

check your year, 83 and 84 had fron drums with soft fron spring, 85 and 86 had disks in front with harder, look up progressive springs, go with harder oil too, ever since my g/f's dad did it in is 84 he has not blown a seal yet, that was done in 1990!.oh and if ya are nice to it will never die, his is org everything even piston and was never opened up yet!.

I own a 84. Clark makes a replacement tank and most parts are still available from Yamaha. The TT and the 600 Grizzly ATV share the same top end (except carb), cams and pistons are available aftermarket for them. I replaced the forks and wheelsets with parts from an 87 CR 250. The forks are both 43mm so they slipped right in. I will be replacing the triple clamps this winter, not sure how that will go (stem diam.). The only problem with the CR conversion using the stock triple clamps are they are wider so a spacer must be added for proper wheel/disk brake alignment, and they are raked out so much that the steering is sluggish (same as stock TT). The wheel set gives me front and rear disk brakes. Axle diam. are the same, but some fabrication was needed to adapt the master cylinder and caliper. Also Works Performance makes a replacement shock which can be set up for any riders weight and abilities.

The one mod I am still looking into is a carb swap. I would like to make the motor a little more snappy and I think the carb is my biggest problem at this point. I bought the bike in abused condition and have never rode another TT to see how they feel, but think there is room for improvement. White Bros. built race versions of this motor back in the day and they were scary fast.

One other note of interest, I built a track kit and use mine in the snow, check it out at: Sno X Cycle Conversion Kits

There is a photo of the TT on one of the pages.

SRX600 street bike carb fit the tt600 carb..... we got 2 on our tt's works fine, very nice, hard to find but we got 2, just not for sale

Are the SRX carbs CV or regular slides. What are the differences between the two (TT vs SRX) Accelerator pump, vacuum petcock diaphragm, ect ?

Thanks for any input as I love this bike, just need more snap.

not shure the dif, alll i know is my girlfriends dad had some laying around, we got guy that has 9 TT600's 1983-1986, they are mint and all have big bore enginea, around 660's, they were used in the mid 80's are race bikes for somthing, dirt track i think. other stuff is, a muffler from suppertrapp, dif gearing, thats about it, 20 years ago ya couldnt do much to bikes, not days ya can......this is all i know.

The problem with the forks is not the oil but the Damper Rod design. There is only a small hole whereby the oil travels and that makes the bike dive when you hit high-speeds bump, they call this "Hydrolic Lock". The only thing I've been able to do is put in a stonger spring and use a couple of pieces of heavy gage PVC (about 2" length) to act as a pre-load on the forks. You can also increase the air-pressure to 5lbs. but that risks blowing the fork seals.

I'm looking for a set of CR500 or YZ490 forks to replace the stock ones.

Also, you can change out the rear shock spring with a stronger one.

Good Luck.

I'll second the Clarke tank - its perfection. ($170 delivered).

Yamatopdog on Ebay is where I bought my repro decals. They are very good quality ($42 for tank and swingarm decals).

I got a new case cover ($157) and compression release cable ($20) from bikebandit.com.

Seat cover ($30) from http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34284&item=4553452427&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Heat strip, bead blast and powdercoat frame to factory color ($150).

The parts are out there, just takes some digging.

I'm doing a ground up on my '83 TT600. This site is by far the best reference I have found for good info. :)