Sign in to follow this  

Hardwiring a GPS

I want to wire my Etrex into my bike, and I am looking for a site to help me. Anyone know of one, or has anyone done it? Thanks.

I wired my etrex in a week or two ago. I ran wires directly from the batteries, under the tank, and to the accessory plug mounted on my handlebars by zip ties. I put an in line fuse just after the batt that I got at an auto pars store. I used one of the mini plug in fuses. Be sure you put it in the hot wire. Its really simple.

Did you use one of the Garmin cigarrette lighter plugs? Did it have a built in voltage regulator, or did you need to make your own? I just decided to do this, so I don't know much about it yet.

I got an accessory plug fronm the auto parts. I had thecigg lighter adaptor from garmin that goes into a cigg lighter to power the GPS. This has a built in fuse. but I recommend an in line fuse anyway. Basically I crimped on the loop connectors and put them on where the batt cables connect. I ran the ground wire to the accessory plug, and the hot wire I ran from batt, to in line fuse to plug. Hope this helps. BTY I took off my tank and ran the wires under the tank. I basicly followed the other wires.

Terminology can be confusing. The Etrex needs a voltage adapter. The voltage adapter is part of the cigarette lighter adapter cable you buy from Garmin or other source. The adapter cable plugs into a cigarette lighter. So, for a motorcycle, you install a cigarette lighter plug, then plug in the adapter cable, then connect that to the GPS. At the time I was looking (18 months ago) I could not find a direct hard wire adapter cable that had the voltage adapter and did not need to be plugged into a cigarette lighter. They may be available now. Anyway, I made my own. I bought a standard cigarette lighter adapter cable, took the cable apart, got the voltage adapter, and built my own cable I could wire direct to the battery. I don't like cigarette lighter plugs on a motorcycle.

I did what noble did and but put the coverter in a small Radio Shack 'hobby box' behind the headlight to keep it dry. The cigarette lighter / socket combo just doesn't work without goofy cr@p like taping / zip-tying it in place. Vibration is not it's friend.

For a fuse, I used a blade-type that's enclosed in a rubber-sealed enclosure.

Hard-wiring rocks ! I love my Etrex Vista for the bike but the battery useage was hideous.

Did you use one of the Garmin cigarrette lighter plugs? Did it have a built in voltage regulator, or did you need to make your own? I just decided to do this, so I don't know much about it yet.

I got a stainless acc. plug socket from West Marine on advice

from another TT'er. I also chose to mount it behind the headlight cowl.

If you have a marine store near you, they are around $10. Not sure if you

really need stainless, I figured it would at least keep it looking good and rust free.

I like the plug VS hardwired so I can charge my cell phone too.