Sign in to follow this  

Engine only value

Have someone really interested in the 450 we ran on our kart. Not sure how much to ask for it. Been watching ebay and stock '02-'03s seem to go for 1600-2300 range.

This started of as an 02, but is now a mix of various years. It will have a RHC ported head, RHC cam & springs, RHC modified carb, JE piston on a new falicon crank balanced for the JE and high-rpm range. It also has a like new slipper clutch. A custom M4 complete exhaust system is included. The crank and slipper clutch were about $1500 alone! Very potent motor...was alomst able to run with Eddie Lawson and Wayne Rainey last spring at Laguna Seca.....and they had tz250 GP motors!!

ANy estimates on a ballpark figure I should be asking???

I heard Eddie and Wayne set the track record there with those karts. Not sure if it's true or not, but it sounds plausible.

If I were you I wouldn't include the slipper clutch for $3000. Maybe for $4K but not for 3K.

It's very hard to price an engine. 😢 The problem I see, if it were me and i'm sure any one else who is a serious racer will pull the engine apart to double check clearance's and everything regardless of what is said about it. i can't see some one paying 3k for an engine alone when you can get a complete bike for 500.00 more and sell the wheels-frame etc on ebay.. and build that engine with the profits. I think you could get $1500 easy $2000- 2500 with the right person. but $3000 is going to be hard. it's like the insurance company once told me,( it had a pipe on it when you bought it, you choose to up grade!!! this is just my two cents, best of luck. 😢

If it was a stock used motor, I'd have no problem only asking $1500-2000 range for it, as that seems to be what they are selling for. However, this is far from stock. Now I know it is used, but to duplicate This engine, buying a new one from, say service Honda, it would cost around $7000. Heck, the slipper clutch alone was somewhere between $900-1000 and around $550-600 for the complete M4 exhaust system. Then throw in Ron's porting, cam, springs, carb mods, the new Falicon crank......well them numbers ad up quick. SO I personally don't think $.50 on the dollar is unreasonable.

FFR......the driver is tired of being a guinea pig running this motor in our application. He wants to finish some races! It is increedibly fast. At Laguna last spring he qualified 5th *overall*...out qualified more than a dozen rs/tz-250 gp karts and got up to third in the race......when the now redesigned cam chain tensioner lost tension. Its probably about the fastest engine in the country in the 250/450 single cylinder class. With the slipper clutch, the updated tensioner, the falicon crank/rod kit, we probably have worked most of the bugs out of it and fixed most of its weak points, and it would probably be more reliable now.

But after waiting three months last summer for the new crankcase half 😢 , we threw the old CR250 on. Won the national at Grattan, won the fall classic at Mid-Ohio. And never had to touch the motor.....and CR250s seem to be much easier to get parts for! It seems fast enough....but it ain't as fast as that CRF450, that's for sure!

Was actually considering giving it another try come spring, but a guy that say it run at Launa called out of teh blue and has made me an offer I'm finding hard to turn down......even though I know I couldn't replace it for what he has offered.......which is the only catch right now. 😢

Well, that and a friend from Honda has arranged an incredible deal for us on a fully "tuned" Jha house RS-250 ( pushing triple digit hp #s) if we want it. The $$$ from the 450 would really help towards that RS250. And then maybe he could give Eddie a real run.