Sign in to follow this  

Bike advice wanted

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help. I'm keen to get back into dirt bikes after too many years away from it. Finances, house purchase, etc has sorta put any chance of riding I might have had, on the back burner.

Well, things are looking up and I've finally got enough cash for a new bike.

Then came the hard part....which one?

Cause I've been out of the scene for many years, I've pretty much lost touch on what's been going on in the dirt bike world.

I've owned 12 different bikes previously, the last one being a husky.

I've had my eye on the 05 model TE 510 or the 05 KTM 525 exc.

They both seem like very capable bikes and for the type of riding I do, they'd be perfect.

I've always had a soft spot for the huskys and IMO the new models look awesome! Better than any other dirt bike I've ever seen!

Problem is that everyone I talk to in Sydney says get the KTM. But I'm really leaning towards the husky for some reason....

I'm just after some open opinions about both bikes. I'm thinking that, if everyone is telling me to get the KTM, What's wrong with the husky?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Mario.

Mario go see the blokes at R and D at Emu Plains, Huskys are coming back, the factory

is financial, the reason that KTM is so big is they supplied the market with what they

wanted, light fast electric booted 4 strokes,and Husky is doing the same,let them fight

it out and the best bike wins,also the riding public.

Vince

CAN I HEAR AN AMEN! I'd love to hear the Husky name as much as I hear KTM... (90 times a day!) Don't the Austrians know that orange is so "90's"??? 😢 {Spoken in a Fab 5 tone of voice}

hey there!

Go with your urge. It's great to ride bikes that are not the norm. I've had a 95 husq. 610 and now I have a 2001 570. I ride desert in California. I can't imagine riding a different bike... well maybe a newer Husq. 😢 I've ridden plenty of bikes over the years and the Husqvarnas have been great bikes. Plus it's always fun when people give you funny looks or make comments about your Husky...until they see it. Then they have to ride it and that's when it all comes together, after they force themselves to get off the bike you can see it in there eyes... shock .. amazement...then finally lust. It's a beautiful thing!!

have fun

Curtis

Get the KTM the Husky is a pile of crap. 😢

The greedy side of me hopes Husky never makes it as big as KTM because then I will have to pay full retail plus on the best bike on the market.

I am in the industry and ride tons of different bikes. They are all good these days but I really like the Huskys.

Huskys rule 😢

I've got a 510. Buy one, follow your heart, You'll be glad you did. I'm glad I did.

Flame On

Go Husqvarna man. 😢 if my CR250r ever blows up I'm for sure getting a Husky for the dirt. Have 2 supermotos and let me tell ya, I wouldn't ride anything else 😢 .. it's just the CR250r is soo indistructable at this point. Knock on wood..

One advantage to the KTM is the bike is well sorted out and there is quite a few dealers around.

No doubt the Husky seems to be a higher performance bike but I would definately look at dealer support for each bike before making a decision.

That being said I want a TE450 or possibly the 510. My 04 400exc just doesn't have the big thrill factor.

A friend of mine has a Husky .He's had a few problems ,it overheated and melted a plastic T in the coolant line and ruined his top end also burned up his clutch plates they cost 190.00.The husky is a fine bike to ride, but dealers are few and nobody knows anything about them and there is very little aftermarket support .It is getting better but I still consider them an exotic bike.

Your Husky worries are unneccesary. There is a lot of dealers, parts availability is great, parts are not expensive and there are a LOT of very knowledgable people when it comes to Husvarna. Most of it is only UPS away. My dealer is two hours away. So what. I hardly ever go there, usually only to pick up the new bike. All else is done via UPS.

I'm glad there is so much misinformation about the Husky's. More for me and no competition when riding with the rest of the pack.

Flame On

Both are great bikes,The Husky handles/steers better,the ktm's engine is smoother.

Thanks to all those who shared their views on this. I really appreciate it.

I did what you said Barrobuild, and went to R & D, it's only 20mins from my house (sweet)

Man, are these 05 models awesome in the flesh or what!

The guys there were really helpful too. I just called in on my way through and ended up staying over 35mins!

Husky certainly does seems to have it all together at the moment with their bikes. They offer a 2 year parts and labor warranty on the 05 TE 510!

Man, i coulda slapped my money down right there and then. But I promised myself I just wouldn't rush into it. But I was sooo tempted!

One thing I did notice though was the seat height of these new models. I'm by no stretch of the imagination short. (just shy of 6 foot) but are the seats high or what!!

I was stretching on my toes just to touch the ground. Certainly didn't turn me off the bike. But I'm wondering if this is a trend amongst all manufactures?

Seems stoopid to get another bike make that I didn't really want cause seat is so tall.

I can't really see any benefit in compromising the bike handling/setup to adjust the suspension down either. Not sure where to go from here....

All bikes have tall seat heights these days. No matter what you buy it most likely will be about 37. 37" is what my TE510 is. I measured a bunch of bikes and they all are between 37 & 38". Sag settings for your weight will normally get you to about 37"

As it was said in prvious thread KTM parts are expensive.Go do some comparison pricing on parts.I think this should be considered.I have a 04 te450.This time last year there was nothing but help me posts.Now that the 05 are here all I see are posts about after market products.What are we going to do with all this extra time.

I've owned four "old style" Husky 4 strokes and one KTM. I've never had a serious problem with the Huskys, most mechanical problems were crash induced. The KTM 520 I own is an awsome performing bike, but I smoked the motor after very few hours. It also overheats when trying to haul my fat arse around the sand dunes, which is why I bought a 2000 te610 to ride in the dunes. No more heating problems and no more worries. I continue to ride the 520 anywhere but the dunes, but I lost faith in its reliability. I can't comment on the newer style Huskys but going off my expierence with the old ones I'd have to say that they are at least as reliable as KTMs, probably more so. If you want reliability you could allways buy an XR or a Yamaha, but that would be boring.

Thanks once again for the advice. Makes the decision making process much easier.

I was talking to a mate of mine the other day, explaining my "which bike" dilemma and he mentioned that Husky imports in aussie (R&D), have lost the import rights or something to that effect?

Has anyone heard anything about this?

What would it mean for the future of the business/huskys?

I don't know how reliable the source was. Just wondering if anyone else had heard anything?

Yep what you heard is right and it came as a shock to me and from what i can gather to them as well.Its a shame as they had supporter Husky for years,at least from 1985

that I can remember,just built a big new facility,Hans and Stef Applegrin are local ledgens.The Paul Feany{sp} group that imports MV and are based in Queensland and

are the new importers

Vince

Mario, Firstly go the Husky, secondly go the Husky. Thats just my bias opinion as i ride an 00' tc610 and rekon Huskies are awesome. On a serios note Huskies have been getting a bad rap for their spare parts service, came about I think when they went broke a few years back and the name has stayed so to speak. I haven't had to much drama with parts for mine, I live in regional QLD, and mine is not a new model, they are stepping it up though I am told. A mate just bought an 05' 525exc its a very nice bike handels well goes well but has woefully soft suspension if you weigh any more than 70 odd kilos (150 lbs) and a bit to restrictive exhaust. Dont know much about the new Huskies except from what I have read in mags although if you are into checking valve clearances Huskies would be easier to check but harder to adjust as they have gone DOHC with shim cups where as KTM's are SOHC but still use rockers and are a sinch to adjust. I reccomend picking the dealers brains on service costs and spare parts costs. Euro bike plastics don't hold up to well in Aus sun so check plastics prices out too 😢 , one more thing Huskies have a 2 year warranty which is worth serious salt but don't forget you got to get it serviced like a new car for the warranty.

Hope I have been some help, Rock On!!!

Anyone got an idea on the re-sale value of the Huskies in Aussie?

Talking to a dealer the other day and he said that at this particluar dealer, they won't even trade them?? Said that they are too hard to sell.

I guess that's becasue they are still a relative exotic maybe?

I don't want to shell out 13.5K and find that it's worth half that in two years time?

The dealer reckons that the yamaha WR has got great re-sale value. (he wasn't even a yamaha dealer)

Don't know if that'd be enough to make me buy a yamaha but money talks I guess!