Sign in to follow this  

Question for Kiethco...

Hey Kiethco-

Per your suggestion I checked out the Michelin Baja the other day. The dealer told me they only come in a 140 X 18. I'm running a 120 now (Pirelli MT), and a 140 seems like a humongous tire. I know you got the 440 kit (my XR is stock) but how does the XR pull it? Any noticable loss of "oomph?"

I ran across a dude riding a big KTM at the B2V (at the Husky monument) running a Terra Flex and he swore by them. It was also a 140 and also looked humongous. He was telling me he was running 4 (yes, four!) lbs. of air pressure and, with the steel belts of the Terra Flex and some "Slime" type of product that people run in golf carts, never had suffered a flat tire. He also claimed it was possible to run flat on these tires all day long.

Neither the Michellin or Terra Flex is cheap, but if they are as bullet-proof as claimed, I'm in. I fully realize that no tire is flat proof, unless you want to run a Bib-Moose (sp?) or something.

I guess my only concern (if any) with either tire would be the ease of repairing one on the trail, considering the thick sidewalls 😢

Thanks for Kieth or anyone else with insight.

(also posted on the Dual-Sport board)

Well I am not Kiethco but michelins run bigger than actual size, according to the link to a M-12 on Rocky Mt site.

Michelin size 120/80x19 = 100/90x19 Conventional sizing

Michelin size 120/90x18 = 100/100x18 Conventional sizing

Michelin size 130/70x19 = 110/90x19 Conventional sizing

Michelin size 130/80x18 = 110/100x18 Conventional sizing

Michelin size 90/90x21 = 80/100x21 Conventional sizing

I think there is only about 5/8 difference between a 130 and a 110 on the width anyway.

One thing I noticed running the Terra is the white plastic shield between the swingarm and the tire shows wear marks. What does that thing do anyway?

It keeps mud off the shock.

Kieth, next time you replace the chain have it cut a link long. The adjuster will be near the outer adjustment, but your tire wont rub anymore.

Give me a call in a week and a half. I'll be in town after I get back from a Jawbone trip next weekend. I will have your Penguins Dual Sport shirt then.