Sign in to follow this  

Non-DOT Tires

With all the talk lately about DOT tires, I was thinking has anyone ever actually gotten pulled over for not running DOT tires? I know you wont pass inspection without them. But I was thinking of just running regular dirt tires when my 606's wear out. I ride very little on the road. I usually trailer the bike to the woods then ride from there. Occasionally I do ride on the road, but I would say at most 5% of my riding is on the road. My main reason for getting the S model was so that I could register it and be able to legally ride in the state forests here in NJ. Any thought on this?

I got hassled by the cops for letting my kids run up and down the block on there xr, he pointed at my drzs as if to say it couldnt be legal, but never checked the tires. i run non dots.

I run a non-Dot front tire, never been stopped yet, but my main worry is not the law but the fact that if i had an accident and the insurance company might wriggle out of any claim that occurred, so i keep my road miles to a minimum and make them extra careful ones.

The tire is sure worth it on trail though 😢

Never been stopped. Laws vary by state so you might want to check to see what the requirement is and what the penalty is. In WA it is kind of hard to figure if it actually is against the law to ride on non-DOT tires. The law says dealers can not sell non-DOT tires for road use. I'm not so sure it is illegal for an owner to use non-DOT tires on the road. 😢