Sign in to follow this  

How much to have tires mounted up at dealer?

I'm fairly new to riding and this is the first time I've bought tires. I'm looking at some online, but wondering what a dealer might charge me to mount them up. And I assume they'll need to be balanced too right?

It really depends on the dealer and what mood they are in, anywhere from 10 to 20 a tire would be a guesstimate if you didn't buy them there.

If you get a good deal on the tires why not continue and fit them yourself, or get some friends that have changed them before to help, its easy once you do it a few times.

Always useful to know how to do as the shops are not always open if you have a flat and riding off-road flat tires are inevitable.

Read this it has good info http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/trail_tips/ctiw.html

It varies quite alot, but I've seen any where from 10 to 25 dollars per tire.

I had this one shop , that as long as I bought the tire from them, they'd mount and balance for free. It was great.

Then they stopped that, and the price would be $15, but I had a heavy tube, and they wanted $10 extra for that. Pretty much ended getting it done there.

I've pretty much gone back to my old way, of ordering the best Net prices, and mount myself. Then run it down just to spin balance, 7 to $9 .

I just had my "Deathwings" replaced with dunlop 606's. the dealer charged me $20 a piece to mount and balance the tires. I had them install rim locks so it took 4 weights per wheel.

I've pretty much gone back to my old way, of ordering the best Net prices, and mount myself. Then run it down just to spin balance, 7 to $9 .

Spud, I used to worry about balance that much. I finally just started doing a static balance myself with the axle across 2 jack stands. Has worked fine even for my SV650 track bike up to 120 +.

I had my 606's mounted and balanced w/o the bike for $25/ea. Kind of a rip. I work in the automotive tire industry and charge $6-$9 per tire on the vehicle to mount and balance. With the tools and knowhow, it should be relatively simple.

My 2,

Dan

free here if you buy and fit from same place, $10 for fit if it's not their tyre... Never had a bike tyre balanced, never had a problem and yes I use rim locks front and rear.

Ditto on the balance thing, not needed for dirt bikes and I've never noticed a difference on the street with a street bike either.

I am having all types of problems with dealers mounting tires. On my enduro bikes it's not a problem because well they are not street legal (or so they think) so a slight score and wear mark is no problem. However, on my DRZ400S a dealer would not install the rear because of a very minor score on the rim. So minor in fact that it took him a couple of minutes to find it and show it to me.. Not even a bend.. I took the rim home and polished it up and now there is no score mark.. What is all this about???? It's a D@*N dirt bike not a road racer. I guess we can thank the lawyers for this. He also wanted $25 just to install the front.. I already had the old one dismounted. I am getting really frustrated with dealers.

I may consider buying my own mounting jack and static balancer.

😢

Here in Africa I pay the kid about the equivalent of $4 bucks to do it...That's double the going rate...I always get prompt service...A pleasant change from snotty stealerships in the U.S.

Cycle gear mounts for free I believe, if you buy the tire there, but I think their tires are a bit overpriced. No such thing as a free lunch.

I'm fairly new to riding and this is the first time I've bought tires. I'm looking at some online, but wondering what a dealer might charge me to mount them up. And I assume they'll need to be balanced too right?

Only way to know for sure, call your dealer