Sign in to follow this  

Winter storage

What is necessary to do to my CRF250 to get it ready for winter storage? It will be stored outside in the garage and I was just wondering what must be done to it.

Is your garage warm during the winter? Put fresh oils in it...top them off. Drain the gas from the tank and float bowl. Maybe run some stay-bil in it before putting it away. That's about it, I'd say put it on a stand too.

make sure you either wtach your tires or put something on them to keep from rot unless you plan on getting more later. other wise i say keep riding. all weather bikes deserve all weather riders....hahahahaha

Ifyou are not going to go out and start it once a week and let it run for about 5 minutes then do this: put some stabil in the gastank run the bike for 2-3 minutes then fill the tank to the brim, turn off the gas, fill both oil levels to the top of the fill hole to prevent condensation in the crankcase, top off th radiators with fresh antifreeze,spray a little WD40 down the sparkplug hole, put the bike on a stand, cover it with an old sheet or something similar. Be sure to drain all the fluids in the spring and fill to the proper levels with fresh stuff

Why would you want to store it 😢😢😢😢

I thought you would have some good advice on this, seeing as how it's winter in Norway for like 10 months out of the year! 😢

Just kidding. I'm bringing my bike into my basement for the winter and will be doing a complete breakdown/regreasing. Once that's complete, I'm going to try and ride through the winter as much as possible so I'm not really doing anything for storage purposes. My garage is not heated and definitely gets below freezing when the temps do so that's why it's going to the basement. My 230 will stay in the garage (it's bulletproof).

A bit off topic but my boat stays in the garage all winter and last February, I took it out to do some striper fishing and when I started it, the water pump was frozen solid. The motor started but the belt that drives the water pump was just pulling itself around the water pump pulley. Talk about a nasty sound AND smell! With my trusty Coleman propane heater, I was able to thaw it out and go fishing.

There's still gas in the carb, you actually have to let the bike run dry or put some stabil in the tank (1 capfull will do it) to keep the gas from making a mess in there. The best thing is to bring your engine inside the house, if you have the know how to do it.

The best thing is to bring your engine inside the house, if you have the know how to do it.

Or just bring the whole bike in the house. That's a lot easier than bringing just the engine.

not if you have limited space.

I bring the whole bike in my basement.