Sign in to follow this  

Help ! Fitting new graphics

Hey, I just bought a new N-Style graphics kit for my 03 YZF250. What is the best process to fit it, some people say use water under the graphic to position it ??? Can anyone point me in the right direction ??? 😢

Want to save a lot of headaches, follow these steps:

Celan the plastics like you never have before. Rubbing alcohol works good. Use compressed air to dry off the plastic. From ehre on out, to not touch the plastic because the oils on your skip will translate to the plastic!

Set the oven on the coolest setting possible, rack on the very top. Set it on bake and lay the graphic over the plastic the way you want it WITH THE BACKING. Thats right, just pop them in the oven. Keep them in for a minute or so.

When you take them out immediatly take off the backing and immediatly spray the back of the graphic and the plastic. Apply the graphic and posistion it. Then using a credit card, squeege out the windex from the middle out. If a part of the graphic does not want to stick, use a hair dryer to heat up that portion and use a credit card to apply it.

Once done, heat up the whole graphic using a hairdryer/heat gun, or popping them in the oven for a minute.

Trust me, this way works flawlessly. Don't believe me, look at the graphics on my bike and the bike before me. Not to mention Drstrangeloves numbers...

-Phill

I like to use windex and a blow dryer.

Before you peel off the backing place fit it to see how it will all line up.

Remove the backing and lightly spray with windex, and also spray the whole plastic.(don't worry about using too much, you can just wipe it off) Heat up the graphic a little and place it...the windex will allow you to move 'slip and slide' the graphic to place it perfectly. When you have it where you want it, I start in the middle and press it down into place, heating it and making sure it have NO bubbles. ( I use a rag over my fingers so I don't puncture/rip the graphics ). The windex will also allow you to peel it back if you muck up and have to readjust it just be careful not to stretch the graphic when you do.

I never used to use windex...I tried it once hesitantly and now I love it. Its ten times easier 😢 I do this for all my stickers and graphics and numbers.

I just put new pre-printed backgrounds on my CRF250 a couple of weeks ago and used the "oven" method that has been touted here so much. It worked like a charm. Here's how you do it: Put your oven on the lowest setting (170deg. in my case). Put the number plate in the oven with the graphic (paper still on the back) positioned in its proper place and leave it there for about ten minutes. Watch the oven's heat element and make sure it doen't get so hot that it glows red. Have a bottle of Windex and a credit card ready when you take the graphic out. Immediately pull the backing off of the background/graphic and spray it and the plate with a film of spray. Put the graphic on, position it, and start to squeegie the bubbles out. This process is not instant and the more time you take, the better the results will be. I did all three plates (yes, the exhaust side too) without a single wrinkle the first time I tried this method...it works.

You can keep using the windex, but a spray bottle full of water, 1 drop of dish soap and 1/2 cup of alcohol is better. Windex is a cleaner, which will actually break down your adhesive. Soap will help it slide, alcohol will help the water evaporate. If you want to purchase the correct material, goto www.rapidtac.com

Thanks for this thread even though its 5 years old :worthy:

I first did the the full clean & tried the peel a little back & stick = pain in the @rse, Then the lite soapy water way & wow what a difference🤣 I'm going to tackle the rad scoops in the morning.

Ive been riding bike since I was a kid & never had the guts to do graphics before as there so expensive for what they are ! Just hope it goes well !

You can keep using the windex, but a spray bottle full of water, 1 drop of dish soap and 1/2 cup of alcohol is better. Windex is a cleaner, which will actually break down your adhesive. Soap will help it slide, alcohol will help the water evaporate. If you want to purchase the correct material, goto www.rapidtac.com

Bravo! I am happy to see good advice here. Yes, Windex will break down the adhesive, so the formula posted here is a good one.