Sign in to follow this  

250F shootouts

Well, Honda won the '05 250F shootout in Dirt Rider. Anyone know which bike won in the other mags/tests?

Now I just bought an '05 Yamaha 250F so I'm biased. The Yamaha did win in the motor department. It was real close in suspension and brakes, according to DR. There was only a little blurb about engine longevity. Why is that? It is a huge purchase consideration in my mind. I want something that will last. Suspension can be shipped off and fixed, but it's not so easy with the motor. Is Dirt Rider in bed with Honda? They slobber all over it to a point where it's almost rediculous. The other mags the last few years pick the Yamaha. What's the story? 😢

It seems like a no-brainier to me. They stated that all the bikes are close enough in overall performance that the fastest riders will allways win on whichever bike they are on. Oh and by the way the Yamaha engines last twice as long as the others before they need on overhaul. I have rode the little Honda's and they are great feeling bikes, but when the motor only runs half as long well........ 😢

My next bike will probably be a 2006 WR 250F

I just got Transworld Motocross today and it also had the Honda as the shootout winner but as Wrooster so eloquently put it, "IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER."

Throwing away my RMZ for an '05 YZF this weekend strictly for reliability reasons. If you don't mind buying valves every two months the RMZ is a great bike, as is the Honda.

I'd rather spend my time riding than wrenching... I'm going back to YZFs. So, I don't care what the magazine says... I know which bike wins in the real world, and not just two days on a couple MX tracks.

Learned the hard way.

~Tex

'04 RMZ w/SS valves (selling)

'05 YZF (Buying Saturday)

I'd rather spend my time riding than wrenching... I'm going back to YZFs. So, I don't care what the magazine says... I know which bike wins in the real world, and not just two days on a couple MX tracks.

Exactly!! It's your money, you make the decision....do you want to ride or wrench??? I say ride!! And that's the decision I recently made when I bought my first four stroke.

Personally I think the mags are doing a disservice to their readers, if on one hand they say all the bikes are so close then you need to really look at the reliability issues.

I'm happy with my baby blue thumper. And that's all that counts!!

In my mind there is no question that DR is in bed with Honda. Based on the 04 shootout, we bought the CRF250. What a nightmare! It is a great looking bike that runs and handles awesome, WHEN IT RUNS! Once we started having the valve problems, it got to the point of ridiculous. We would have to adjust the valves after each ride. We bought the bike in March, and by August we had replaced the valves once, and adjusted them a couple of dozen times. Our solution: We just took delivery of an 05 YZ250F. The Honda is in the basement awaiting Stainless steel valves (which have just recently become available). We'll fix it and then get rid of it. Dirt Rider Magazine needs to do a RELIABILITY shootout. Honda wouldn't even be allowed to participate!!

OK fella's lets take a deep breath as we're beginning to sound like "The Red Lemmings" forum.

Over the course of the last several years, Honda has won EVERY Dirt Rider and Dirt Bike shootout. The Lemmings rag on MXA as a Yamaha lovers mag but I can remember them on the Honda wagon in the late 80's early-mid 90's and then the KX250 ruled for a few years in the late 90's and then Yamaha ruled for a few years. Now they like the CRF450, which is a sweet bike. Dirt whoever Mag ALWAYS chooses the Honda. Their criticisms are so bland and unspecific that I put little credibility into what they write.

Like Wrooster said "it just doesn't matter".

I've got some saddletime on a crf250 and it is a nimble, sweet handler. I would consider owning one IF IT WERE DEPENDABLE. It's not, and I won't.

Hey guys, I am a loyal Honda rider but in all truth I may be going and buying a 2005 YZF250. I am on my second CRF250 and they are sweet but I get so dang worried about the valves. I complained to my dealer enought about my 05 before I bought it that he told me he will cover it completely if I have any trouble with the valves through the whole 05 season. Well with that deal I would be nuts to spend for another bike! The Yamaha is a very nice ride!

The YZF do have a proven track record for reliabilty. But the had an advantage. Yamaha was able to find weakness in the YZ400F and translate them to the rest of the line. The Honda and Kawasaki are much less mature products. And since the YZ250F was such and awesome machine the other guys had to take some chances to be able to compete. The 5 valve head and the extra oil capacity sevrve the longevity of the blue bikes well.

Those shoot outs are performance tests so they really only have them a day or two. Not enough time to evaluate reliability.

if there is going to be a reliability shootout, then *ONLY* the yamaha's would be allowed to begin with. no honda or limon has been around long enough to be considered a long term test subject. regardless of how many cracked cylinders and replaced valve sets they have done. maybe next year the 04 red/limon bikes could qualify for that competition.

yesterday i asked a local engine guy (only does work part time and by word of mouth) how many crf250's valves he's done. the answer was "at least 12". now, the much older crf450 got a much different response - "at least 35".

i'm not really much of a bike basher but.... the honda has some valve issues, but if u compare it to the kawi/suz 250f the honda isnt that bad in reliability the honda has valve problems while the kawi/suz have a horrible engine, if the yz250f had ny of the problems i wud have ordered a 05 yz125 in october

if there is going to be a reliability shootout, then *ONLY* the yamaha's would be allowed to begin with. no honda or limon has been around long enough to be considered a long term test subject. regardless of how many cracked cylinders and replaced valve sets they have done. maybe next year the 04 red/limon bikes could qualify for that competition.

yesterday i asked a local engine guy (only does work part time and by word of mouth) how many crf250's valves he's done. the answer was "at least 12". now, the much older crf450 got a much different response - "at least 35".

You all fail to understand that the CRF/R&X's are part of President Bush's plan to boost the economy. George called-up the mainland and asked them to build a piece of crap with really expensive parts so the dealers and mechanics can make a better living.

Sheesh, simple economics 😢

Rich

There is almost no doubt that new Dirt Rider queer in charge, JIMMY LEWIS, is in HONDA's back pocket. He raves on and on about the Red Beer Can CRF250R, but very quietly mentions the RBC has crappy valves. Also, no mention of the TON of improvements to the 05 RBC. Nor, no mention of 04 problems such as cracked cylinder skirts, which did happen to a local kid's RBC. Talk about a gut pile... 😢

Equally interesting, is that in the very same issue, the Jimmy's Wife's girl team races the 24 hr race aboard a RBCX, and has LOADS of valve problems. Sure gave ME a chuckle. 😢

2005 CRF250R - No oil burning or valve issues yet

key word -> YET

exactly WHY do you have such a signature?

do you feel the need to exclaim that your less than 6 month old bike has yet to melt a rod to the crank due to oil loss? or is it that you have yet to spend mega bucks on a valve train that simply does not work?

call back in 3.5 *YEARS* when your bike is as old as my valves and we'll talk honda quality.

My December Dirt Bike magazine gives the YZinger the nod over the CRF. It seems the CRF keeps winning in terms of being thin, plush, and smooth, but the YZF wins hands down with motor, reliability, and handling. The new forks seem to be getting incredible reviews. I am struggling with whether or not to sell my 02 and go for an 05, mainly to loose a few pounds off the bike and get better suspension. But then reality sets in and tells me for the extra money I would have to cough up, I could get my suspension revalved front and rear, and still be money ahead. I hate when logic wins out over emotion!