Sign in to follow this  

help with KLR250 debug

Well, now that I officially have my KLR up for sale, it is acting up on me. Perfect timing, huh?

It has been running really well. I went to run it the other evening, and it seems to be suffering from crappy throttle response. Even after warming up, when I take it from idle to 5k rpms (in neutral), it hesitates, kinda sags a bit, then slowly revs up.

I think it might be a little pissed because there is a newer bike sitting next to it.

It is pretty cold here now... upper 20's, low 30's. I'm at 5000 elevation too.

The bike has a Cobra exhaust, but is otherwise stock that I know of. It might have been rejetted by the previous owner, but I have no clue. I have only had the bike a short while, and do not know when it last had a new plug / filter tune. It does have fresh oil, and does not burn oil. Compression seems good.

I recently had it in the shop for some minor work, and it came back to me with the idle re-adjusted. I'm wondering if they might have also adjusted the mixture?

How would you go about diagnosing this?

Where is the mixture adjustment screw?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Frank

How was it running before,did you check all the obvious-fuel,filter...it sounds like its dumping fuel.Is the COBRA exhaust for sale,I have a stock muffler.

Okay.. I have a bit of a clue. Looks like the choke cable was sticking when I would return it from choke position to normal run position. Once the cable warms up a little, it unsticks, and the bike runs much better. But..... I still have a flat spot when bike is a little cold. Rolling throttle up fast causes hesitation around 2500 rpms, then it catches up and revs up good. This does not happen when hot. Bike also is hard to start when very cold.

I took it in to the shop anyway to see if they might take a look, and was told that if not rejetted, the cobra exhaust might cause it to run lean. Sounds weird to me though, but I am no gear head. Is this possible? The guy said that if too lean, it could be causing the cold start problem too. I don't know how I can be at high elevation and be lean, but I'm used to being wrong :-)

Hopefully I'll get fixed up here pretty quick.

Thanks for the input...

I probably won't sell the exhaust, but I'll consider it. If the bike does not sell for close to the asking price, I'll end up keeping it for a loaner.

-f-