Sign in to follow this  

Trick to draining oil?

As some of you know from a previous post, I've been having problems starting my 250. Now the step is changing the oil, but because it won't start (to warm up the oil), I have to drain it when it's cold. It's been in my shop all day and night (probably 60 degrees), but it is still barely draining. You put 2qts of oil in, and I've almost got one quart out after an hour. I have the drain plug out, the dipstick out, the oil filter out, but it is still barely dripping.

Is there a trick to draining your oil when your bike is cold, or do I just have to sit it out? If I just need to wait, how will I know when all of the old oil is out?

Thanks,

Brock

Did it have oil in it to start with?

Get one of those clamp lights, remove the reflector bowl, add a 100 watt bulb, and put it in contact with the bike near the oil drain. That bulb should warm the oil and let it drain.

Robert

It's a 2003. I already slowly kicked it over twice and more came out of the oil filter hole, but I didn't want to do it more than that.

Well thanks everybody. I finally got it to drain after just waiting and waiting and waiting and a few pumps to the kick lever.

The trick is to warm up the oil...It will start when it's cold. It just takes a little more effort and a little better technique.

RH

Is the bike on a bike stand or on its kickstand. It should be on the kickstand for it to drain fully.

Maybe something obvious, but you never know.

If you use synthetic it will come out much easier when it's cold and your bike will start easier when it's cold too. Kicking over congealed dino reduces the cranking speed 4strokes love and need so much to start.

BTW, unscrew your dipstick and you might get a little faster drain.

😢