Help with changing clutch.

I'm about to change my clutch on my 00 yz 426. I had a couple of questions.

1: Don't i just have to remove screws and the pressure plate to slide the clutch plates and friction plates out to change it. I do have the service manual but I'm looking to ease the work and avoid unnecessary things.

2: If i have to do more, what's the easiest way to change it.

3 Can i improvise any tools like the clutch wrench or are their any tricks to doing this?

4: How much of a "fly wheel effect" will steel plates give me as opposed to alloy ones? I like my race engine and don't want to turn it into a endurance engine.

Yea thats pretty much it. Once you get the cluthc cover off, Remove the 6 screws/washers along with the springs, then slide the pressure plate off, then remove the old friction and clutch plates. Just coat the new ones with some oil as your installing them....I cant remember the torque spec of the 6 screws...its pretty low though.

I just re-did my clutch and I can tell you that the tusk plate kit from rockymountain is good...but, do not use the tusk kit with the springs though...I think the kits with "heavy duty springs" use EBC springs. They sell them either in a plate only kit or plates with springs....get the plate only kit if you decide to go with tusk. Mine (EBC springs) only lasted 3 rides until the springs measured way below spec and the cable couldn't be adjusted anymore.

I would recommend ordering the stock yamaha springs...only about 15.00 for all 6...and then use them with the tusk plate only kit. it'll save some coin and work great.

Also, I have an 01...but I think I remember about bunch of '00 owners here doing some sort of upgrade from an '00 to an '01 style clutch. I think the '01 clutch has 3 or so more plates at the back of the stack. Maybe do a search or post antoher thread about it if your interested...I think it was a real cheap but good upgrade. If your aware of all this....nevermind ?

Good luck!

Mike

I believe the problem with the 2000 is a judder spring at the base of the clutch pack. Dont use alloy plates, stick with steel. Though there would be a small amount of flywheel effect (probably not detectable) the plates are much stronger. The thumpers have too much torque for a 2 smoke clutch. ?

Ok, thanks. I was gonna order the tusk clutch plate kit without the springs anyway. I was gonna just reuse my old springs though. Is that a good idea or should i go with new ones. This is the 1st clutch changing for the bike.

Ok, thanks. I was gonna order the tusk clutch plate kit without the springs anyway. I was gonna just reuse my old springs though. Is that a good idea or should i go with new ones. This is the 1st clutch changing for the bike.

Do you have dial calipers?...if not try to measure your springs somehow, they may be the reason that your clutch is bad. I think min spec is 1.92"...spec i think is 1.97". If they are anywhere near 1.945" or shorter i'd trash them and use new ones. Then again, I would suggest that you order the stock springs anyway...there only about 15.00 for all 6. If you do, get the yamaha stock ones....that way you wont burn up the new clutch.