harness update queston

my brother has an 02wr250f which started running like hell all at once. We've done everyhing. different carbs ignitions checked cam timing ,flywheel position and finally a new coil from an 04 you name it. It still wont kick start and when it does fire wont run at all below about 3000rpm or so. It does improve quit a bit when the tps is disconnected. A knowledgable friend suggested it was probably the wiring harness. We've decided to order and try one. My queston is will an 04 hook up to an 02 motor -stator, keeping in mind he has an 04 coil now or should he get an 02 and make a lead to fit the o4 coil as it is now. Appreciate any help, we have an important race sunday. Matt

Check the position of your stator on the crank. You may have sheared the woodruff key for the stator causing all kinds of trouble. also, replace the spark plug even though it looks o.k. A bad plug that looked o.k. cost me a race once.

Did the problem start while he was riding?, or when he went to start it up to ride? If it happened while he was riding, fell or stalled it out on a bump, the woodruff key is it. Happened to me last year, e-start would not work, and kicking would not do it either. When it would start, it ran like sxxt. Shop cost me $135, recall on WR450's, but not on the 250's.

Thanks for your imput you guys. I've checked the flywheel and put two new plugs in it. It is some what intermitant 95% bearly runs we may just try a harness. I'll let you know what we find out. I'm just not sure if the o4 harness will fit an 02 with an 04 coil or not? Anyone? Matt

"different carbs ignitions"

I'm not sure what you mean by that. You changed carbs and ignitions? You say it runs above 3000 rpm. To me it sounds like the pilot jet or pilot air jet is clogged. Another WAG is the floats could be set too high and the starter circuit could be sucking extra fuel. I don't understand how a bad wiring harness could affect the motor only below a set rpm.

Let us know when you get it working again. Good luck.