Sign in to follow this  

starting problem...

Hey guys.

Ok I washed the bike. Started her up and rode her around the yard a little. She got warm and ran great. I sprayed her down with wd40 and put her away for a few weeks. Now I go back to start her and there is no resistance when I try to get the piston to TDC. After some slow and hard kicking I get a backfire. I keep going and get another backfire. But now I start to get some resistance. I finally get her to run. She runs kind of ruff but runs. So like 2 weeks later I try to start her again. The kick-starter feels kind of soft but not like the last time. It takes a few tries but I get her started. Once running and after I shut her off she starts up fine. Any idea what is going on? I mean this is all of a sudden.

Thanks

Steven

1998 XR00

Mar-Tried to adjust my compression release like the manual says. Is "free play" the play before it starts to move the cable, or total movement of the lever? First adjusted it for full lever play----WAY TOO TIGHT. Then to cable play and it feels too loose. Feeling dumb, here..... 😢

Hey guys

Yes I keep up on oil changes.

I have not checked the valves. The this is it happened all of a sudden. Its not like it has gotten harder to start over time. It was over night if you say. She has run like a top before this and once started runs like a top. I am going to check the decomp lever setting first.

thanks for the input

if any one has any other input let me know.

Steven