Sign in to follow this  

Cycle World's new article" Dual-Sport done right"

So have ya got your new Cycle World mag (Jan 2005)yet? There's a interesting article about making the DRZ400S work right. Some new ideas there, wonder if Jimmy Lewis reads the TT forum? It's great to see somthing written about Dual-Sport bikes in the motorcycle mags, and Jimmy challanges the Motorcycle companines to get with it , listen to us who own these bikes and update them, or at least give us some new models. Dual-Sport is very popular and with the new California rules, there should be even more demand for better bikes than Suzuki and Honda(forget the Honda,retire it,LOL!) are building. I love my 03 DRZ400S, but I would buy a new one if Suzuki came out with a updated version, with a (dreaming here) a 450 motor, better carb,better seat, bigger gas tank, on and on. So what do you guys think? 😢

I read that article too...I have a 2002 DR-Z They just barly scratched the surface with the mods that are done...They should read this forum. Overall good article

Any improvements they make will be passed on to you and me in cost increase. Typically those improvements would be less expensive to do yourself and would be overall better in the long run. Well, that's my opinion at least for what it's worth!

There is no competition. When Honda and yamaha build a better dual sport, Suzuki will up the motor to 450. I'd love to see honda build a 450 water cooled dual sport or yamaha dual sport a WR. Untill they do suzuki has free run of the market.

I read that article too...I have a 2002 DR-Z They just barly scratched the surface with the mods that are done...They should read this forum. Overall good article

Can you scan and send the article for those who live abroad ?! 😢

There was a time in the lates sixties and early seventies that the Dual-Sport (Then referred to as Enduro) market was the premier market. Then everything went to specialization and the Dual-Sports were relegated to cheap dirtbike wanna-be's. You can see that the Japanese have had little interest in this market. Models like the KLR, XL, XT are 20 year old technology. The DRZ is the exception in the market. I believe the Japanese would rather sell you a motorcycle for the street and also one for off-roading rather than one that can do everything. I doubt there'll be very much coming out new unless there is some shift in thinking by the BigFour. But I guess we can always hope....

I put a bigger tank on mine, put a custom seat that is about 13 inches wide (instead of the stock 7-8 inches), put pannier mounts for the rear, got some Ortlieb bags, radiator shrouds and few other items to make it the way I want. I am going to get a windscreen for longer pavement rides and then plan to go to Baja!!

Here is the article in relevant DRZ part:

http://duken4evr.homestead.com/files/bikeshots/DRZ/DRZ1.jpg

http://duken4evr.homestead.com/files/bikeshots/DRZ/DRZ2.jpg

By the way, I read Jimmy Lewis owns a DRZ400S.

Also, the "MotoCzysz C1" American Superbike story is worthwhile reading even if you are not a sport bike addict. Michael Czysz (pronounced "Sizz") is am amazing man and a bike nut of the highest magnitude!

Here is the article in relevant DRZ part:

http://duken4evr.homestead.com/files/bikeshots/DRZ/DRZ1.jpg

http://duken4evr.homestead.com/files/bikeshots/DRZ/DRZ2.jpg

By the way, I read Jimmy Lewis owns a DRZ400S.

Also, the "MotoCzysz C1" American Superbike story is worthwhile reading even if you are not a sport bike addict. Michael Czysz (pronounced "Sizz") is am amazing man and a bike nut of the highest magnitude!

Thank you !!!

I have nothing to add to this. I just wanted to get my new sig out there, tee-hee.

Having owned both bikes i thought the article was precise.The XRL has a horrible first to second gap with stock gearing(they split the cases and put in XR600 gear(s) ).They also noted that the DRZ is pretty revvy at hwy speed. They do state the the DRZ is more dirt ,which is what i wanted.I love my DRZ S.I'll never go back to the L.

Thanks for scanning and posting the article. It was a pleasure to read and hopefully some inspiration the the Big Four. Dual sport riding is my personal favorite form of motorcycling though I love it all!

There was a time in the lates sixties and early seventies that the Dual-Sport (Then referred to as Enduro) market was the premier market. Then everything went to specialization and the Dual-Sports were relegated to cheap dirtbike wanna-be's. You can see that the Japanese have had little interest in this market. Models like the KLR, XL, XT are 20 year old technology. The DRZ is the exception in the market. I believe the Japanese would rather sell you a motorcycle for the street and also one for off-roading rather than one that can do everything. I doubt there'll be very much coming out new unless there is some shift in thinking by the BigFour. But I guess we can always hope....

Don't blame the manufactures.

Have you ever seen the models available in Europe?

Street legal Honda CR based Dual Sport bikes!

Blame the Nazi US Government (California at least) for making them put tons of garbage on them to meet noise & emission standards. That is why we get heavy pig bikes.

There are some cool things about the motoczysz, but if anyone doubts him being a gearhead, check out his kid's names...he named one of his kids Enzo 😢