Sign in to follow this  

TTR125L Oil Leak

I've got a very peculiar oil leak on my 2002 TTR. I realized a 6 inch puddle under the bike after riding it fairly hard. I could not distinguish where it was coming from so I cleaned the bike, checked the level which was OK and proceeded to monitor. After riding again putting around for a few hours with the kids it had no signs of any leaking. Riding it again hard the other day, there was the same problem only much more oil on the ground (8 inch puddle) and significantly more on the bike.

Dry areas of the bike:

- Drain plug

- Top of engine

- Drive side (left) of engine

- Right side of engine with the exception of lower 1 inch.

- Front of engine except for 1 inch @ lower right corner.

Areas where it's wet with oil:

- Top and bottom of swing arm has a light coating heavy at the pivot and fades to nothing by the rear tire.

- Bottom of engine is coated except for the area around the drain plug.

- Rear mud flap behind shock has a light coating on engine side.

- Foot peg coated

- Inside kickstand frame mount is coated.

The oil level was VERY low. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's the crankcase seal. I found that these bolts could turn about 1/4 turn tighter. Could not having the BBR frame brace cause this problem? Is there anything else which could cause this kind of leak? If it's the crankcase seal, is this a difficult job? Any tips?

I found the problem. The crankcase gasket on the clutch side was leaking. It was an easy job.