Best street legal trail bike?

Need some suggestions. The last 2 bikes I owned were the XR600 and then the DR650. This time wanting to go lighter, easier to handle in the woods, but need street legal to ride thru the local Wildlife management area. Very little highway, and no freeways. Here in AR it is fairly easy to convert and register, so a factory dual sport is not the only option. Been riding a borrowed 93 KDX200 for a few days. These darned things are almost the perfect trail bikes. Here`s the big question: Is there a 4 stroke that has fairly low seat height, easy to handle, light weight, dependable that even comes close to an old KDX200? Thought about a CRF230 TTR230 or XT225 but might be bored senseless in a few weeks? The 1998 KLX300 for $1,700 might be what I`m looking for but would rather have E start. Looking forward to the replies. thanks, Robert W

I've got to go with what I know. The CRF230 is a fun little bike, and a lot of fun in the tight stuff, but I suspect you will get bored with it. No suspension adjustments (replace springs, change fork oil weight is all), and once you de-snorkel and rejet you will find some power gains. However it will only do a little over 60 with stock gearing.

I have a DRZ400s which I find to have a lot more power than my son's crf230. It's a little heavy in the tight stuff, but works fine. Cruises fine at higher speeds and has a good trail and dirt road oriented suspension. For you, I would sugest the E model since you can plate it easily. It's a bit lighter than the S, and a lot lighter than the xr650's.

Hope that helps,

I have a DRZ 400s that I ride in very technical situations. I put on all the recomended armor. It really works well as long as you don't put it on an MX track or try to race it. It has a very good trail riding suspenision. It also has the button!

From what I recall, the KLX300 is one bike to steer clear of. I'll see if I can dig out the detail, but there was an article I read some time back about the fact that you could get them pretty cheap - for a good reason

Consider converting a WR400/426/450. They're relatively light, handle great off road, and enough juice to do anything you need them to. I converted mine with a Baja designs kit, but there are other kits to choose from. My riding buddy has a XR650 converted and it's not even close in terms of maneuverability.

you could even put a wr 250f on the road. They're legal, but very scary to drive on any highway or interstate. Sounds good for you since you want something smaller ( even though the seat height is a bit tall). My wr (stock)keeps up with my brother's 96 kdx 200 with a few mods, so it's equal fun in the power department, and a lot easier to wheelie. ?

there is only one dualsport to consider on the market right now, the DRZ i have the s version and except the gearing being too tall, i have no complaints yeah it is tall i guess, but i fixed both problems very easily and for little money.

go to a 13t on the front sprocket cost a few pound/dollars end of tall gearing problem, get a lowring link to drop the height 20-30 pound/dollars end of to high problem both quick and easy and cheap mods to do. you now have the best dual sport bike in the world ?

Consider converting a WR400/426/450. They're relatively light, handle great off road, and enough juice to do anything you need them to. I converted mine with a Baja designs kit, but there are other kits to choose from. My riding buddy has a XR650 converted and it's not even close in terms of maneuverability.

Diddo to the 400 class Yammies. Bought my 426 already set up. Definitely lighter than the 600's you've owned and I doubt you'll get bored with the power. Had my up to 86.8 mph on a dirt road in Grayling (if you trust GPS accuracy) The seats are a bit tall, though. Nothing longer linkage can't cure, though.

Good luck!

I've been riding and racing MX, desert, endouro,ect. for close to 40 years and love my 03 DRZ400S. With a few simple inexpensive mods the bike does it all!!, I've even ridden a couple endouros on it. I no longer consider myself a competative racer, (although I still race the fun events?, and even trophy sometimes). The DRZ is no doubt the best D/S bike out there and the aftermarket mods are endless!!. Strong motor, reliable, decent tuneable suspention, trail ride or race it on the wekend then use it as a comuter bike during the week!!!!, (no freeway use). The most versitale and fun to ride bike I've ever had. ?

Go blue with a wr 4xx. ?

You will have more power than you will need in a reliable machine. Just be careful with the 2003 wr model, the electric starter had some "issues".

But otherwise those wr are good almost everywhere. ?