Sign in to follow this  

20mm vs 18 mm offset triple clamps, 05 KTM 525 sx...

The 2005 KTM 525 SX comes with triple clamps that can be set up either with a 20mm or 18mm offset. MXA has done reviews on older KTM 520's and KTM 525's, and they recommend switching from the stock 20mm clamps to 18mm or 16mm clamps to get the Katoom to turn better. It is sweet that the '05 Katoom comes with adjustable triple clamps, but when I looked in the KTM manual, it said to make your bike turn better, go with the 20mm offset... this seems to be the opposite of what MXA said. Can anyone clear this up for me? Has anyone tried both offsets yet on their 05? If so, which did you prefer and why?

Thanks!

--Ben

I went on a 2002 520 SX to 18 mm Offset with a pair of aftermarket clamps. It made the bike turn more easier and more precise without losing stability at high-speed. With the OEM - Clamps (20mm) the front wheel used to push to the outside of the turn. I would recommend the 18 mm clamps.

GTX

Priest

Hey,

I installed a set of MX-Tech's 16/18mm adjustable triple clamps on my 525 SX. Tried the 16mm setting first and never changed them. I regularly rip up the inside of my competition's YZ450Fs. Have only noticed a very small amount of headshake, but that is only at terminal speed on Budd's Creek's "Freeway" straight. Go with the 18mm setting, but 16mm is even better. 😢

Its noticeable in some instances. The downfall is the bike feels more twitchy, but once you relearn its habbits your good to go. Run a damper if your riing offroad.

Sometime after I revalve my suspension Ill be getting a set of BRP 18MM rubber mounted clamps for my SX. 😢

I've been trying to tweak the handling of my 400EXC 2002---I never realized the handling disadvantage I was working with until I rode a friends WR426. This is an ignorant question, but, if I want to improve the cornering, and go to an aftermarket 18mm offset, does this mean I am replacing both upper and lower triple clamps, or just the top? 😢

I've been trying to tweak the handling of my 400EXC 2002---I never realized the handling disadvantage I was working with until I rode a friends WR426. This is an ignorant question, but, if I want to improve the cornering, and go to an aftermarket 18mm offset, does this mean I am replacing both upper and lower triple clamps, or just the top? :banghead:

yes, you have to change both. i also reccomend the change to reduced offset

skullhat