Changing cam tips

Nothing to it...once you have the carrier out, there is a snap ring holding it in. The bearing on the cam comes out with the cam, lightly tap it out, then you just have to wiggle the cam lobes different directions to find the way it fits out through the carrier. At first you would swear there is no way it can fit ?

P.S. - hope you have shims ready, unless you are the lucky new lottery winner, you are going to have to reshim the valves...and if you don't, buy ME a lottery ticket and send it to me..

^--- Lottery ticket on the way ?? . I got the hot cam shim kit when I did the valves. That was the best spent 55 bucks yet. Very very good investment if you are doing your own work.

Does the rocker arm need to be removed? The manual says thread a 6mm screw into the rocker arm shaft and pull this rocker arm shaft out of the camshaft holder.

Just want to know if it is necessary to remove the rocker arm or can you get the cam out without taking that off.

I just got my hot cam in my 03 450 honda and WOW what a difference.

I rode the whole 4 days in the desert on it during thanksgiving. Well is Seems that if you lug your bike around the trails you should just use the stock cam. But if your Racing it is a must have. I am guessing but it feels like a few more ponies in the middle and the bottom.

I rode my buddies 04 450 with just a white bros pipe and my bike feels like his now on the bottom and mid. and I didn't loose anything up top.

you don't have to remove the rocker arm! and use a BRASS punch to tap the cam out after you remove the retaining ring. Also, when you get your new cam in the bridge make sure it rotates 360*. Because when i installed my mega-cycle cam, it hit the casting. i measured all three of the mega cycle 108x cams i have for other bikes and they are dead on. so the casting was off from honda.

Changed the cam yesterday and it was super simple. I just had the service manual as a reference guide and it took me through all the steps. I took the advice from above though and did not take the rocker arm off. There is no need to. This really is a easy change especially if you have shimmed etc and are familiar with taking the cam assembly off.

Other good news. I have 9 hours on the new RHC intake valves and springs and I checked them before I took the cam off and they are still where they should be. Very excited about that.

Once I ride the bike with the cam (hopefully this weekend) I will let you guys know what I think ?

Thanks again for the tips

Got the cam in tonight and started the beast up. It started up really well. 3rd kick in freezing temps seemed pretty good. The question I have is that the kickstarter was quiter a bit harder to kick. The auto decomp is set to the spec listed in the manual .028+.035 = .062.

I searched the forums and found a couple comments by Rich_Rohrich and others talking about hard starting after the stage 1 is put in. Would it be worth tightening up the auto decomp a little to make the kickstarter easier to kick? Would it still start just as well? Any suggestions? Ron, RHC?

Thanks

Bates