Heated Grips

I am considering purchasing a 525 EXC. I ride year around and live in snow country, and have a kit to convert the bike to a snow bike. My question is can the stock EXC or MXC lighting/stator support heated grips. The spec's I have seen indicate heated grips range from 18 watts on low to up to 56 watts on high on some kits, using approx. 3 amps. Has anyone tried or does anyone have output spec's available on the big EXC? I have checked out the other post and some good information found, just would like numbers if possible.

Thanks

Sno X Cycle Conversion Kits

• 2 weeks later...

Never used or installed heated grips. How does this system work on the throttle side? I'm assuming the element needs to be between the plastic twist piece of throttle and the handle bar. Is this the case? And does the throttle work OK & does this wear out the element? And most of all does it do the job??

Never used or installed heated grips. How does this system work on the throttle side? I'm assuming the element needs to be between the plastic twist piece of throttle and the handle bar. Is this the case? And does the throttle work OK & does this wear out the element? And most of all does it do the job??

No, the element goes on top of the throttle tube, right under the grip. The dual-stars are pretty easy to install.

No, the element goes on top of the throttle tube, right under the grip. The dual-stars are pretty easy to install.

Thanks John, please excuse me for wondering; but how in the heck does the wiring get routed if the element is twisting all the time? This is probably one of those very obvious things I'm not getting. Will they work with the Acerbis shielded alum bark buster style guards?

The Dual Star grips are easy to install. Even though they are dedicated to clutch and throttle side, as "jeb" pointed out, with aluminum bars you still need to insulate the clutch side with several wraps of electrical or duct tape. No problem with wire twisting on the throttle side after a small loop of wiring is zip tied to allow free movement of throttle and wires. I prefer to wire the hot grips into the hot lead to the headlight because the grips will automatically shut off when the engine is turned off, plus wiring the grips this way doesn't put an excessive load on the battery.

Chas is correct on the throttle side routing. Just make a loop and ziptie it. I have mine on the bike all year and they hold up great.

With the Dual-Star's, you'll only need one wrap of elect tape under the clutch side grip.

Thanks Chas & John, I got it. The obvious it is. It seems pretty flimsy to have the wire twist like that, but I can see zip tie with the loop would do the trick. Thanks again & have a great holiday.