Sign in to follow this  

8 year old first bike thoughts

Considering the Yamaha 80 for my 8 yr old son. He fits on it well: can get bothfett on the ground, one all the way down, other half down. After I set him on it I stared bouncing him arounf laterally left and right to see how he could manage the weight. He held it up. When leaning 305 degrees to oone side, then it got too heavy. My interpretation is its the right size for him.

Other posts have stated starting way small (ie a 50). It just looks too small for him. I dont know his height really (guess about 44" tall). Average. Also have the issue where I need the size to be usable for a while - cant afford a new bike in a year or so as he grows out of the 50.

Thoughts?

When leaning 305 degrees to oone side, then it got too heavy. QUOTE]

Dang, starting him out with backflips and barrel rolls already! Maybe you meant 30 degrees? 😢

Don't know how brand loyal you are but the KTM 50 lineup has adjustable seat heights. The larger disp. bikes may have that also. They are a little high $$, but my 6 yr old has nearly outgrown his CRF50's suspension and power in 11 months. I will have to buy something bigger soon but luckily he has two younger sisters that may be able to use the 50. 😢

I started my son out on a Honda XR80 (CRF now) when he was about the same size as your son. It was the smallest bike I could get with 5 spd tranny and a manual clutch. Since he didn't start younger, I wanted him to learn on a bike with full controls. He could just barely tiptoe both feet. Within 3 months, as he got used to it, he could flatfoot one side and tiptoe the other. He still dropped it alot as most any bike is too heavy for kids at that age, but he learned quick how to let it fall without landing on him. I learned quick the value of barkbusters 😢 He rode that bike for three years, so I saved alot in upgrading costs 😢

As you have already mentioned that funds might be a little tight i wouldn't recomend the (K)eep(T)aking(M)oney i have a friend that had one and they are always either wrenching it them selves or taking it to the shop that is not only expensive but not much fun when you want to ride but can't 'cos it is broken.

Yamaha are pretty much bullet proof do the usual maintenance and it will certainly outlast your boys needs i think that is the way to go, but give him time before the next 305 degree rolls poor little fella 😢

I have two nephews in the same age range and probably similar size. They started on 50s and are now on the PW80s. They do great on 'em, sounds like it would be a great starter bike for him. Quite a bit more power than the 50s, so may not be a bad idea to keep the restrictors in for a while.

Problems they've had with em include:

Chain derailing when in a lot of mud.

Fork tubes bending (shifter too) but you need two PW80s colliding head on at high speed for this to be an issue. They were able to straighten the fork tubes back using a pipe and a vice (lucky deal).

Changing bikes can be a relatively inexpensive process if you're careful with the initial purchase. Search for a smokin' deal on a used one, then in a year sell it and repeat the process. If your son has a penchant for aggressive jumping, the PW's lifespan will be shortened; given it's playbike chassis.

I suspect he's more than 44" tall. My son's 45" tall, is one of the shorter kids in his class, and just turned 6. KTM Pro Jr 50.

I recently purchased my 8-year old a CRF 70 for his second bike. He's coming off of an XR 50 he out grew--his 6-year old sister now rides it. My son is not an aggressive rider but enjoys trail riding with Dad and some track time. My opinion is to get your son something that fits and has a mellow powerband. I've seen too many Dad's get their children bikes that they can "grow into" and/or are too much to handle--read explosive or narrow powerband as is found in the race bred 2-strokes--and the kids wind up hurting themselves or not liking the sport. Don't worry about him outgrowing the bike in a year or less, you will get most of your money upon resale (assuming it's not thrashed, just check the classifieds you'll see) and you can step him up gradually. I'm sure I'll be buying an 80 or 100 cc bike before long, but I can always pass my son's down to his sister. Best of luck 😢