Sign in to follow this  

Where has my oil gone?

😢 i went to check my oil today ready for a ride on Sunday and to my horror the dipstick was completely dry. There has been no oil on the floor in my garage where i always park the bike so i am at a total loss. Any idea &%$#@! my oil has gone ?

You have to start the bike up for 3 mins, let it sit of another 3 mins, then check the oil with the bike vertical.

The oil will slowly drain from the frame to the engine over time. That's why you don't see any now.

sorry i should have said i did warm the bike up, i let it run for a few minutes then i took her around the block, let her sit for a few mins and nothing???

That is weird then. Assuming it was fine the last time you checked your oil and you haven't seen any leaks. I guess it's possible your burning oil. How old is your bike and how many miles ago did you check your oil?

the bike is an 01 and i have done 1500 miles on it "road" since i last changed the oil, i just undone the bolt at the bottom and oil was coming out, i am wondering if i didn't allow the bike to warm up suficeiently as it is very cold here in the UK near freezing, so i am letting her idle now with half choke

Ok nightmare over, i let it run for longer and now i have oil on the dipstick, was only half way tho so i am wondering if that is normal burn from full reading having done about 12-1500 miles all road except one off road ride last week 5 hours?

The system holds about 2 quarts (or 2L) total. However, oil disappears from the dip stick much sooner than that. Just a guess but if you are 8 to 16oz low it is off the dip stick. 8 to 16 Oz in 1500 miles is not much. Check it more often. At least every 500 miles and change it at 1000. A 3 minute warm up is plenty of time to get the oil in the frame to check it. If you are concerned if there is enough oil in it to start it, there is a check bolt in the engine case. Procedure in the owners book.