Sign in to follow this  

Need advise on riding boots

I'm looking for some cheap riding boots. The models I'm looking at are:

- Oneal element boots

- Thor T-30

- Fox Tracker

- Alpinestar Tech 4

Have anyone here tried any of them? Are they a decent boot?

Can anyone recommend another good cheap riding boot?

My brother has the Fox tracker's and hates them. His friend got the O'neal Elements and hates them. If you are going to spend any time in them at all then start out with a mid-level boot. You will really enjoy them instead of fussing about missed shifts, or bulky, heavy boots.

The only thing i can say is don't buy the O'neal Element. I had a wreck where I was sent over the bars (nothing too serious) and the result was the entire bottom of the boot (tread part) seperated from the rest. They were 1 year old.

What about Fox Forma Pro. Anyone try these out?

Dude. Boots are one of the best investments you can make, and one of the last investments you want to skimp on. Sell one of those 5 bikes you own and get yourself a pair of Tech 8's or 10's, Fox ProForma's, Gaerne's, etc. I've been riding my Tech8's for 3 years now, and I love em. Went through my first pair of O'neal boots in a matter of a few months. Plus with the Tech's you can buy replacement parts as they wear (new soles, straps, etc.) Sell that old 87 VFR that is just collecting dust, and put down a little cash. Your feet will thank you.

I have Tech 6's and they seem to have held up reasonably well over the last two years.

I have the T-30's and like them alot. had so fools quad fall on my ankle and came out ok. Was pissed but ok. Also the THOR Quadrant is the step up and are saleing for about the same price. A friend of mine used to have the Tech-4's and did not like them at all.

I agree spend the extra money. If you clean them and mabey put some leather conditioner on them every couple months they will last for a while. The 250 bucks or whatever seems like alot but I have my alpine stars for 5 years. And I ride 2-3 times a month. Just like bikes you have to take care of your stuff.

Agree and also look into some of the boots that have parts that can be replaced. You can take care of your boots but you never know when something out of the ordinary can rip a buckle or strap off. You will be happier in the long run and spend less money also

What about Fox Forma Pro. Anyone try these out?

Love them, have tried others and these fit my foot the best. The only other ones i liked better were SIDI.

Ebay also has some great buys too. I got my girlfriend some Fly racing talons, size 10, brand new in the box for $114 shipped to me. they are very nice boots, and cant beat the deal. 😢

The MSR world tours were my first boot, lasted a good 5 years. Only paid a little over $100 for them too. 😢

Ask for the Alpinestars M-6. I think they still sell them but don't advertise them. they are the re-named tech 5's which were prior to the tech 6's. They have all the same features as the the tech 6's but much cheaper.

also check e-bay.

Depends on how you define cheap. Alpinestar vectors are some of the best boots I have ever owned. When they came out in for the '04 season they were ~$245 now you can get the '04s for ~$150

My Buddy Has The Fox Forma Pro's. He Had A Mild Dismount When He Looped It Off A Jump. He Ended Up Twisting His Ankle And Broke It. Had To Be Screwed And Pinned. Don't Know If They Fit Him Right Or Not But I Would Immagine That They Did. Maybe Just A Fluke, But Spend The Extra Money And Get A Good Set Of Boots. I Have Broken My Ankles Before And It Sucks, Now When It Gets Cold They Ache And Pop Like Crazy. There Is No Price On Safety Imho.

Took a quick "lunch" break and tried on some Fox forma pros at my local dealer. Actually, I went to two shop, they are next to each other, and both had barely any selection. The forma pros fit quite nice. The only thing I'm worried about is how stiff they are. I've never had riding boots before, so I guess this is normal. But I'm worried I won't be able to shift. Or at least they'll be a pain in the ass to shift. So my question is. Do they break in much, or do you just have to get use to shifting with a big stiff boot?

BTW, I never planned on buying from the local shops, just wanted to try some boots on and order the ones I liked online. I figured I'd save some money doing that but I really had no idea how much. The Forma pros were listed for $400 😢! I can get them online for $204 😢 After the exchange rate, that's still only $244 😢 I'm pretty sure customs and shipping won't cost me $156

the thor t-30's are good, i use them but the souls dont last too long. look at the t-30, but also consider spending more on a good boot, like the tech 8.

BTW, I never planned on buying from the local shops, just wanted to try some boots on and order the ones I liked online. I figured I'd save some money doing that but I really had no idea how much. The Forma pros were listed for $400 😢! I can get them online for $204 😢 After the exchange rate, that's still only $244 😢 I'm pretty sure customs and shipping won't cost me $156

I got some from brocktoncycle.com for $179US in black, so far I like them.