Sign in to follow this  

Removing 400s carb. What a beeatch.

Well its off, but how to get it back is todays question. If anyone has a method, please share.

Try tucking the air box boot back behind the frame,, slide the carb in, seat in the manifold,, then seat the boot. Never seemed to be a big deal to me,, but I have heard others in here tell story's of great difficulty.

I unbolt the rear sub frame and push it back just enough to slip it in! works for me no more troubles.

Soniq...I feel for you...

I have the FCR in my bike now, and it needs just a little bit more adjusting, but I cannot be bothered to pull the bastard out anymore to get to the PAS.

Now that it is cold in CA, with highs in the 50s, I am noticing the stumble at partial throttle, and I am sure that it is the PAS...but add 10 degrees of temperature, and it is no longer an issue...

If this carb was easy to get to, I would not hesitate to get it right. But just thinking about it makes me want to vacuum the house or something else fun instead... 😢

What are you finding difficult or frustrating with the removal?

Getting the carb body in/out of the boots. I like this idea..

" unbolt the rear sub frame and push it back just enough to slip it in! works for me no more troubles.. "

S7

CrashMW...

If you are having problems in cold weather try turning the fuel screw out 1/4 turn.

Both the Fuel Screw and PAS affect the Pilot Mixture. As long as you can achieve the mixture ratio you need within about 1 - 3 turns out on the fuel screw you don't need to adjust the PAS.

Try tucking the air box boot back behind the frame,, slide the carb in, seat in the manifold,, then seat the boot. Never seemed to be a big deal to me,, but I have heard others in here tell story's of great difficulty.

that's what i did. took all of about 5 minutes to remove it.

I remove the air box boot by folding it and remove from the carb side between frame and air box. Takes longer to loosen the clamps then removing the boot.

Bronco,

The CPW carb that I am running came with the bellmouth that is SUPPOSED to fit the "S" airboot. I have a devil of a time if I try to put the carb into the intake pipe first like I have done with every bike that I have ever owned. On this bike, even when placing the carb into the airbox side first, the lip keeps wanting to "fold in" and even using very thin screwdrivers is tough...

I should be getting better at it, but the fact remains that if I want to make changes to my carb, it is typically a 1 hour job.

But, since I have the new Baja Designs LED tailight, I will be taking many common parts off the next time the weekend is a rainout, so I will go in and get my PAS where Burned recommended...3/4 out rather than 5/8 like it is now. I should also try Railroads idea since I now have the Scotts fuel screw installed.

I would like to know what is the proper way to set the fuel screw...anyone?

Mike

its that bellmouth set up causing you greif.do your self a favor and get a E bellmouth and air boot.

its really only 10 minute deal in and out.