Any guys (or girls) racing the wr250?

Yep. I race enduro, sprint and mx on mine. It rips ad the electric leg is beaut. I take the lights / road gear off and wack on a front plastic plus YZ rear guard. Im sure its not as good as the YZ, but im flogging guys and girls on mx bikes left right and centre. So it will let you get close to yor potential. Make sure you aonly partially fill fuel tank as its way too big. If you want to go even further you could remove battery, starter, and go to YZ exhaust cam and flywheel. But personally i just bought a YZ instead.

I would need to keep the lights handy so I can keep it street legal when needed (national forest and dual sport rides). I may include the '01-'02 in my search for a used one--unless starting has been an issue? Any reason NOT to include the '01-'02? The price is really tempting w/0 the e-start ?

As far as I know, most everyone on a pre 03 went and installed a 03 cam since it has the auto-decomp.

All I can say is my 03 WR starts EASY with the kicker (which I use mainly to make fun of my friends w/o the button ????? )

I find that my WR will get a better holeshot than my YZ250F for some reason.

This is something I noticed the first time I raced my WR. I had only had it for 3 days and took it to the track to try it out. The goal was to take it easy and learn the bike so I lined up at the end of the gate to stay out of everyones way. When I took off I went hard but not 100% and ended up 3RD on the holeshot. ? I finished the moto 5th and was about to pass out! The second moto I decided to go for it and I lined up in the same spot. My friend was there and said I had 2 bike lengths on the rest of the class, it was my first holeshot. I got taken out from behind on the second corner and again a couple laps later. I finished 17th on the second moto, very frustrated, I got 12th overall out of 22. ? This was in the 125am class, I consider myself a good rider overall but an average racer.

What is the deal with the WR and holeshots?

What is the deal with the WR and holeshots?

I believe the deal is; The WR has a lower first gear than the YZ. If you shift fast enough you get to your powerband faster and you can maintain it through to 3rd gear. Atleast that's what happens to me. I compete against YZ250Fs(x2), KTM250, YZ426F and a RM125 in a 40+ class. I can normally get to the first corner before everything except the YZ426F. But the 426 is not that far ahead. In any case, my WR is competive on a MX track. BTW I have a YZ tank and seat, plus I put heavier springs on it.