Sign in to follow this  

studded tires for 50's

anyone know whre to get 10" studdeds,if not how have you done a home made set and what do you do to keep the tubes from popping?it WILL be the ultimate ice fishing accesory 😢😢

Good luck finding screws short enough not to pop tubes.I had this problem last year.If you find some that will work let me know.How long they last will depend on what size motor you have.If its stock to silghtly modded they will last forever.Once you get into the high horsepower(like over 10)on will have to worry about them ripping out of the rear wheel.

Why not drill them in then take a dremmel tool and cut off all the points sticking through the inside of the tire?

Here is what you do:

Get an old set of tires from someone (or use your existing ones). Take them off the rims first!

Go to the hardware store and buy the smallest carriage head bolt you can find (diameter wise), something like 1/8" I would guess. Buy some matching fender washers and nuts. Take the tire and drill holes in it and put the bolts through from the inside out (head on the inside). You put a fender washer (standard washer may work since the tires are so small) and the either loctite or double nut. Put a layer of duct tape over the inside of the tire to protect the tube.

Voila! you have a studded tire for about $5. I have done this on big tires and it worked great, it sure beat the price of a Trellaborg! Be careful on your bolt length and location. You don't want to saw through your fender or silencer!

On the big bike, I just used sheet metal screws on the front, but that might not work on the thin 50 tire.

Good Luck!

Joe

sounds like my current plan,gonna take a old tube to line as well.matbe squirt some spray foam to cover the screw head inside too.off to the hardware store,braaap! 😢