Sign in to follow this  

Atwater Cycle Park !

I rode my dual sport out to Atwater Cyle Park for their Grand Openeing. Wow! There were at least 500 people there by 10:30 when I rode in. Tim and Terri Adams really went all out to make the Grand Opening a success. They had an army of volunteers to help out. They are associated with the local "PAL"(police athletic league) and the parking was smoothly directed by youngsters who aspire to become law enforcement officers. There were raffles for motorcycles and quads and tables full of gear and accessories. The $5 entry included a ticket for lunch(hamburgers, hotdogs, tostadas, chili beans potato, macaroni, and green salads, cookies and a soda) "such a deal". There were 3 mx tracks, beginner, intermediate and advanced. 2 quad tracks, an oval track, and a sand drag track complete with a drag strip type starting light system. There was a long line of quads lined up to drag race each other. The soil at the track is sandy. The tracks would rut up, but there was a tractor dragging the tracks to smooth them out. I heard Terri telling someone that the track designs are in the primative stage. They will change them to suit the needs of the riders. I am "jazzed". I rode at this very same site back in 1976, when it was the Atwater Dirt Riders riding area. The park will be open Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. Check out their web site atwatercyclepark.com torsten

Cant wait to go there.!!

We ended up racing in Hanford.

Maybe next Monday. 😢

I walked the track today. They've done a great job with the infrastructure - fencing, water, pits. And the drag strip idea is a keeper! 😢

But the "large" MX track really needs some tweaking if they want to avoid a plethora of injuries. The lanes are way too narrow, the straights are too short, and there are too many little jumps.

Don't get me wrong though, I love a track with jumps. But the soil is powdery almost like flour. When wet it's great but the lips of the jumps breakdown, rut up, and make for a lot of cross-rutted takeoffs. Especially when you get more than a couple riders out there.

If they just accept the fact that it is a sand track and set it up that way, it will be really fun.

I would suggest they widen the lanes substantially (double what they are now), lengthen the straights, knock down about half the jumps, and do a better job with the remaining jumps (bring in different soil for the takeoff lips). The track will naturally develop sand whoops and huge braking/acceleration bumps. Add that to the fact that the corners develop huge berms and it will be a really fun track!

Anyway, I'm not complaining. Just offering my suggestions for improvement.

Sand drags YEEEE-HAAAA Enough room for cars to race? There hasnt been any sand drags around here for a long time. The closest sand drags around here that I can remember were at oakwood lake (aka manteca water slides, now closed) and that was maaaany moons ago. Most dont even know they ran there. If not enough room to run big vehicles thats ok, just glad to hear of someplace new. Mike in Modesto 😢