Sign in to follow this  

Hard to shift in boots?

In the past, I have worn a hiking style boot while riding dual-sport. Those and my roadracing boots have always had a nice 'feel' for shifting. As I started to ride more and harsher off-road, I decided MX boots were necessary and bought a pair of Thor Quandrant boots. They feel great and give plenty of support, but I find it difficult to upshift with them. Is this normal when switching to MX boots? Will I get used to this?

It's the thor trademark to me man. I have never been able to get a pair of thor boots to feel right, they don't break in in the ankle area. If you wear a set of A* boots though, it's a whole different ball game.

I have the same problem...cant move my ankle,so I have to kind of get sideways to move my foot up.I look pretty stupid when I do it 😢

How long have you had the MX boots? The first time I wore my new Alpinestar Tech 6s, I thought you have got to be kidding. I can't ride in these. After a couple of rides, they feel like slippers (well not quite) but feel/shift just as you would expect. My new Sidi Force SRS are pretty sweet as well 😢

What boots are you wearing? Some lesser expensive boots are made from a real stiff leather and never break in. In the $150 range, MSR World Tour's break in like a gym sneaker after a few rides ...... but, hey - why not wear a gym sneaker then? If you like your feet, do not sacrifice on boots. Other than a good helmet, there is no more important piece of equipment. If you want a pair that feel great right out of the box AND have support, spend the $225 on FOX Forma Pro's. If you can afford to, try on some Techs or SG10's - either WILL break in after a ride or two. The most important thing is to find a pair of boots that are comfortable, offer great protection, and don't interfere with shifting or braking. The one brake you miss because you couldn't find the lever could be the one that lands you in a big white box truck with red and blue lights on top.

Hey Diamond - this is a family forum. Can you clean up your quotes?

You should be in bed by now. Are you relegated to the couch tonight too?

Just get used to them. Once you do, you will wonder how you rode with only shoes on. I rode my bike a few days ago with my shoes up my street once and could barely shift without my boots on...

Just get used to them. Once you do, you will wonder how you rode with only shoes on. I rode my bike a few days ago with my shoes up my street once and could barely shift without my boots on...

thats how it is for me i feel wierd just sitting on my bike withough my boots on.

Thanks for advice. I have only ridden in them once. I will keep wearing them while riding...besides, it's so much fun.

Next purchase: Kidney belt. I keep bottoming out on my XL600R.

This was the exact post I was about to write! I ordered some Oneal M990's, mainly because they're 100% leather and should break in nicely. However, the shop substituted Oneal M-10s (a newer model). As far as I can tell, there isn't much, if any, leather on that boot....they appear to be all plastic. I'm used to breaking in MX boots, but that was many years ago when they were all 100% leather. These were so stiff that I took them off, put the toe against the floor, then put my full weight on the leg part of the boot to try to make the sole flex and I couldn't!! There is no way on earth those things will ever break in at all. They're going back to the store that sent them.

I'd like to get some recommendations from people about which of the 100% leather boots (a plastic shin guard is okay) will break in, provide reasonable feel, and that I can actually walk in....at least from the truck to the trailer!

Cheers,

Mac

This was the exact post I was about to write! I ordered some Oneal M990's, mainly because they're 100% leather and should break in nicely. However, the shop substituted Oneal M-10s (a newer model). As far as I can tell, there isn't much, if any, leather on that boot....they appear to be all plastic. I'm used to breaking in MX boots, but that was many years ago when they were all 100% leather. These were so stiff that I took them off, put the toe against the floor, then put my full weight on the leg part of the boot to try to make the sole flex and I couldn't!! There is no way on earth those things will ever break in at all. They're going back to the store that sent them.

I'd like to get some recommendations from people about which of the 100% leather boots (a plastic shin guard is okay) will break in, provide reasonable feel, and that I can actually walk in....at least from the truck to the trailer!

Cheers,

Mac

100% leather boots....good luck, I've never seen them. The plastic is actaully there for protection, sure it makes the boot stiffer but that is to provide support and protection. The soles are designed to be be stiff to keep your feet from getting crushed by say a protruding rock or something. I too just bought some Thor Quadrants and so far I'm liking them. They are not as nice as my Fox Forma Pro's were but I could not slap down another 225 on boots. I've only ridden in them twice and I'm finding it tricky to shift up in them, but I had that same issue with the Fox boots, eventually they will break in a little more and you will get used to them.

Yes my AXOs were stiff as heck too. Try riding a TTR125 and shifting. Even with the shift lever adjusted way up it's a pain. I used some saddle soap to loosen them up and also linseed oil on them, helped a little. Try leather conditioner and wear them as often as you can, even to the store.

WRFRK...

>> 100% leather boots....good luck, I've never seen them. The plastic is actaully there for protection, sure it makes the boot stiffer but that is to provide support and protection. The soles are designed to be be stiff to keep your feet from getting crushed by say a protruding rock or something. <<

Okay....maybe not 100%. The soles were the same as they are today. The shin guards were metal, not plastic. They had steel toe guards and a steel shank in the arch. There were also straps and buckles. The new Sidi Joel Robert replicas are very similar. Obviously I'm showing my age now.... 😢

My objection is the plastic across the top of the foot. Not only does it make the boot super-stiff, it also eliminates all feel of the shifter. I have seen some models that appear to not have any sort of plastic on top of the foot, but they're all low-end models and I'd wonder about quality of construction.

MIKESBARON...

>> I used some saddle soap to loosen them up and also linseed oil on them, helped a little. Try leather conditioner and wear them as often as you can, even to the store. <<

I'll try the leather conditioner/saddle soap application to the leather parts and hope for the best on the rest. At the moment I doubt if I could walk from my house to the garage in these things! 😢

Sometimes it is the pits living overseas where you can't just go to a shop and look things over or try them on.... I have to order virtually everything over the internet and have little more than manufacturer's websites and forums like this for input.

Cheers,

Mac