Sign in to follow this  

Cold start help

Sorry if I am asking something that has been asked a ton here.

I live in WA state and am about 500 ft above sea level. My TTR is incredibly hard to start cold and keep running. I also find it takes a very long time to warm up. In the future I plan on changing the exhaust and doing the air box mod, but until then I am wondering if there is a way to improve this. When I do those mods I will, of course rejet it, but am hoping there is an adjustment I can make now to make it a little better.

TIA!

Change your pilot jet to a 17.5. The bike will start much easier and when you mod the bike, this change will already be done. You can change the main to a 110 or 112.5, but it does not have to be done until you open up the air box and modify the exhaust.

Isn't the stock pilot jet on this carb already 17.5? Or is it the 15. I noticed in the two different stickies that there are two different sizes quoted.

hmmm try using the choke! :redflip (ttrturd ='s wingzero) hey i got my ttr on friday and did the airbox mod already and pulled the cap off the exhaust, it starts up fine tho! but mines an 05 with 40 minutes on it

Get the larger pilot and main jet and you can take the side off the air box (it's free) My son's was hard to start too. Starts easier now and has more power.

Isn't the stock pilot jet on this carb already 17.5? Or is it the 15. I noticed in the two different stickies that there are two different sizes quoted.

The stock pilot jet is the 15. Most people change that out to the 17.5 even with no airbox or exhaust mods.

Which sticky says the 17.5 is stock?

Sure you read it correctly?

And yes, going to the 17.5 will help you start better, especially in the cooler air that's here and coming even more so soon.

You did adjust the fuel screw right?

I may have misunderstood what he was writing, but the first paragraph of the sticky by PAKEVIN says that.

Nope, you're right. It does appear to say that. I think what he was trying to write there was those are the jets to put in a stock carb. The stock jets are the 15 pilot and the 105 main. 😢

Yup, I was having a hell of a time warming up my wife's bike (with the choke on), I could adjust it so it would start and stay running on the first or second kick, but once it warmed up, it idled waaaaay too high.

I swapped the stock pilot (15) with a 17.5 and the thing starts first kick, idles perfectly and runs well once warm. I was amazed at how well it worked.

i'm at the same elevation and the same state. i run a 17.5 pilot and a 112.5 with a BBR pipe and filter kit and the top of the airbox cut out. i dont think a stock bike would like that big of a main in the cold my bike is still a little to rich but in the summer its perfect. i'd try a 110 or what ever the next lowest jet is.

I agree with Tubo, I just rejetted my TTR 125 with a 17.5 and 115 and it helped a ton. Had a 20 in the pilot upon reccomendation from the local Yamaha shop but it was just to rich for my machine.

My son was told when starting his bike cold to first "shake" the bike from side to side, and then choke it and kick it.......believe it or not, this does seem to work! Try it...it's a cheap fix. Good luck!

Did the rejet and modified the air box. All is well now. Also, I noted the idle was way below spec when warm, so I adjusted that.

Something I've noticed recently on my wife's '04TTR125LE. When starting the bike cold after it has sat for a week or so, it starts much easier with the kick starter. Choke the bike and kick it 3-5 times till it fires. It usually dies and then I kick it a time or 2 again till it fires. Once it fires and runs then I use the electric start from there on out.