Sign in to follow this  

Have pics of 05 mods - can't post, help

I just finished the free grey wire and exhaust mods on the 05 WR250. 😢 I've got some good pics but not sure how to post 😢 (don't think I have permission) These two were easy, took about an hour. I'm about half mechanically inclined, so no great skill level required for these two, anyway. Didn't get a chance to ride it yet but it sounds like it revs faster. 😢 AND it's not much louder. 😢

Anyway, if someone wants to post them, I'll be glad to email directly.

Taking off the baffle:

1. remove the screws (duh)

b8k1removescrews.jpg

2.&3. Here's the small rivets that need to be drilled.

z4z2noticesmallrivet.jpg

o4k3otherrivet.jpg

4. Drilling rivets.

f1a4drilloutbothrive.jpg

5. Gently pry out the little tube. I happened to have a paint can opener in my tool box and it worked rather nicely. Requires a little patience.

t2m5gentlypryoutplug.jpg

6. There it is, now reassemble the cap

o0m6therestheplug.jpg

there you go

Cutting the grey wire:

pretty self explanatory.....

1. take seat, gas tank and side plastics off.

c8z1tankseatshroudsr.jpg

2.go on right hand side of the bike were the black box is right next to the right radiator.

v4y2wirebundles.jpg

3.right next to radiator there should be wires.

l6y3heresthegreywire.jpg

4.find the grey wire and cut it, or pull it out.

y9m4wiresnipped.jpg

Awesome Qball... thanks a mill.

I'm in the market and just noticed today that the '05 pipe was changed. My buddy and I have been wondering how the mods apply to the '05.

Be sure and let us know how it works on the trail!

One question... on the front of the head, has Yamaha changed the casting, or is the decompression plug still there?

If it's still there, it sounds like it would be a good idea to secure it so it can't blow out... do a search on "decompression plug" if you aren't familiar with the issue.

It was my pleasure.

If you can't be riding, you can tinker with the bike.....

If you can't tinker with the bike, you can talk about riding and tinkering on TT!

Thus, one's life becomes complete. ;-)

oops, forgot..

I'm not sure about the compression plug. pretty new at this stuff. I'll be sure to check out the previous threads....thanks

Not having found a photo of it here, I looked at an '04 today and it is a black dot, maybe 1" diameter, just above the header. It's pretty obvious if you haven't coated the front of your motor with Utah Mud, in which case it'll be Utah-Mud Red 😢

There's a black bolt on the side of the head just behind it. This bolt held the original part in place, and secures the TT plug.

hmmm. I'll have to check if it's there. If it is, is there really anything I have to do if I'm not modifying anything in that area? So far, I've only done the exhaust and grey wire mods. Will probably follow up with at least the throttle stop mod. Not sure how much else after that.

Will probably follow up with at least the throttle stop mod

"will probably" ???

you need to do this, otherwise you are riding a WR150F. you shelled out a lot of coin for a 250cc 4s race bike -- don't handcuff it.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Not really a hijack since it's still a mod for the '05... 😢

How soon are we going to see TT tank graphics for the new '05 tank?

BTW, Jim... if you ever get out to the San Bernardino area, there's a plate of Fish & Chips and a couple of pints Guinness waiting for you at my table at the Royal Falconer in Redlands.

You've been a big help 😢

"will probably" ???

you need to do this, otherwise you are riding a WR150F. you shelled out a lot of coin for a 250cc 4s race bike -- don't handcuff it.

OK, point well taken. 😢 I really didn't mean to imply that I would consider leaving this power crippling device in my bike. It was more of one of those unnecessary "fillers" we like to use in our language. I be more carefull in the future. 😢

The WR muffler still looks terriably restrictive with the baffle removed. I've noticed quite a few full YZf exhaust with the Titanium header and open rear exhaust for sale for under $50. Have any of you WR guys tried the YZ exhaust. Any good experiences?

Have any of you WR guys tried the YZ exhaust. Any good experiences?

an inexpensive "slightly used" YZF pipe is a great addition to your WRF. that is, assuming you can do without the spark arrestor. since the YZF exhaust is much more free flowing, you will need to play with your jetting. a YZF cam and a JD jetting kit would make perfect companions to the YZF pipe.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

I have updated thumperfaq to include the pictures and instructions for removing the exhaust baffle on the 05 model. Thanks Qball.

Cutting the grey wire:

pretty self explanatory.....

1. take seat, gas tank and side plastics off.

c8z1tankseatshroudsr.jpg

2.go on right hand side of the bike were the black box is right next to the right radiator.

v4y2wirebundles.jpg

3.right next to radiator there should be wires.

l6y3heresthegreywire.jpg

4.find the grey wire and cut it, or pull it out.

y9m4wiresnipped.jpg

What does the grey wire mod do?