Sign in to follow this  

HELP! idles fine, but nothing more

ok, so my bike has been running great lately. no complaints. i recently checked the valves and they were good to go. so this morning there's an inch of snow on the ground, and i couldn't push my bike into my truck, so i decided to start it up, go for a little put around the yard, and then load up and go. so i started her up, let it warm up for a bit, clicked it into gear, gave it some gas and it died. at first i thought it was the temp...26 degrees. but it ran the other day in the same type temps without any problem. it starts up and idles fine, it just won't go past idle. 😢

so what do you guys think could be causing this? i'm really at a loss here. 😢 i just wanted to ride today...... 😢 any help will be sweet. i just am so cornfused right about now. thanks 😢

Water in your float bowl. Drain it with the bolt on the bottom of your carb (that accesses the main). You might pull out the main while you're there and clean it too. You don't have to loosen the carb to pull the main out - you can do it by feel.

When did you wash it last? I once had a bike form ice crystal's in the filter and it wouldnt run past idle. at 26 degree's and an air flow of the engine running,could be it.

i'll go try draining the bowl right now. thanks. as for washing it.......we don't do that here.....j/k. i haven't washed it in a while because there hasn't been any mud.....everything is frozen. i'll be back i a few. thanks.

SWEEEEEEET. ok dovii, would you mind explaining why that worked? is a cold climate bad for gas or something? thanks again.

It could have happened if you put the airfilter back on wet or it could have just happened from condensation. Either way a water bead ends up clogging a jet and robbing you of fuel. It will still start because when you put the choke on it corrects for the lack of fuel by cutting air too. But any attempt at giving it gas will result in a bog or engine dying. Or something like that. 😢😢

Thumper Talk.com is the best website I have ever experienced. Everyone is here to help each other out. 😢 Very NICE!

How the water got in there, I dont know. But I can tell you why it ran the way it did.

Water is heavier than gasoline. the main jet is lower in the bowl than the slow jet ( pilot jet) When the bike starts and idles its running on the pilot, when you just even crack the throttle, you roll up on the main jet, and the needle. If the main is hangin in a pool of water, it aint gonna run 😢

You were just lucky enough to have the exact right amount of water in the bowl to displace just enough gas to drown the main but let the pilot suck gas.

go buy a lotto ticket, youve got some kind of luck running for ya 😢

shawn, thanks for the explanation. lol, i would go buy a lotto ticket if i was old enough. dammit. well thanks again guys. as long as it runs, that luck enough for me.