Sign in to follow this  

Valve question - Starting??

I'm having trouble starting my bike when it's cold outside and it's been sitting for a while (few days, maybe a week). Once it starts, it runs beautifully. When it's hot, it starts first kick every time. Is this normal for cold weather or is this an indication I need to re-shim soon? Last time I checked them was mid-October and they were spot on.

If the valves were starting to close, would it be hard to start hot AND cold?

Might be the starter jet. Try a twist on the gas when cold to squirt some fuel in the cylinder. I have the same problem here in Portugal now that the weather is chillier.

I doubt it would be your valves, since you can kick it once warm. If it was valve related it just would not like to start at all no matter the temp of the engine.

My bike is pretty much brand new and up on the east coast, NY, it did not like to start too much (30-40 degrees). But I am sure it is due to the colder temps.

When my valves were zero tolerance, it started fine hot and was terrible when cold. Like someone said above, twist the throttle a couple of times with the gas ON and choke ON before kicking it over. The accel pump will throw some fuel in the chute for you. If'n it doesn't start within 2 or so kicks, you may want to guage those clearances.

If you haven't yet checked your valve clearances, don't be afraid. It is as simple as changing a plug. Well almost, but once your to the plu, you only have two bolts and a tube to disconnect. It is really a simple task.

When my valves were zero tolerance, it started fine hot and was terrible when cold. Like someone said above, twist the throttle a couple of times with the gas ON and choke ON before kicking it over. The accel pump will throw some fuel in the chute for you. If'n it doesn't start within 2 or so kicks, you may want to guage those clearances.

If you haven't yet checked your valve clearances, don't be afraid. It is as simple as changing a plug. Well almost, but once your to the plu, you only have two bolts and a tube to disconnect. It is really a simple task.

I've checked the valves twice and both times they were perfect. I'm going to check them sometime this week and if they need shimming, I'll shim 'em.

I was just hoping to get some quick info on whether it's hard to start hot and cold when the valves start to go. I've heard people say that if the valves are heading down, it will be hard to start whether hot or cold and I just wanted to verify that.

Thanks for the info!

Nothing to worry about. My buddy called me this weekend complaining of the same problem. It is difficult to get the motor spinning over enough times with the kickstarter in cold weather due to the short stroke design of the motor, which explains why these bikes start so easily when you push start them.

Like I said, nothing to worry about. 😢

On another note, I installed the Pro Taper clamps and the Longhorn bars and the fit and finish is great. Bars are $40 vs. the $85 Pro Tapers. The only thing that sucked is the Longhorn bar pad. For some bizarre reason, it's not cut correctly to fit around the Pro Taper clamps.

Took it out on Friday and everything felt great. For a grand total of $70, I got some nice fat bars.

Damn, watching the Canadian supercross yesterday made me want to go ride!!

I was really pumped waiting for the races but it was a little let down to find Chad and Bubba not there. RC is still the man!

I like Yammie four strokes, and you probably know why, but it says alot to see all of that red in the top five positions of the 125's!

Great racing!

By the way, my WR450F is a little more difficult to start also in this colder weather.....sometimes having to hit the button two times. I'll have to start working out my thumb 😢

Rich

My bike is hard to start cold, but once it fires up for the day, I don't have any more problems. I like to kick mine a few times before hitting the magic button. I think the bike is extremely cold natured. Like they said, when the valves are going, it will be hard to start either hot or cold.