Sign in to follow this  

Trav...Where are you?

I was just looking at your Smugmug website and saw the photos of Costa Rica. What was the lowdown on that trip. Where did you stay and what did it cost? It looks like it was alot of fun. 😢

I and a few stumpjumpers club members went down to the Dominican Republic for 7 days stay at www.coastalmotoadventures.com and www.coastalcottagesbythesea.com. This is a mini-resort and dirtbike touring place that is owned and operated by a stumpjumper club member, Rob Riley, that moved down there 1-2 years ago. They have only been in full operation for a short while now (4-6 months), but are doing very well and have an excellent setup.

The pricing is very reasonable (IMO), you can check out the web sites listed above for more detail, but basically it's $1150 for 2 people to stay 7-days in one of the cottages, and the price includes 3-days riding for 1-person with the bike, gear, and lunch supplied. If you get a group to go down and book all 4 cottages then I believe there is a discount.

The cottages you stay in are 1st-rate. They are very roomy and include cable, air-conditioning, internet access, private fridge, breakfast, etc., etc. There is a nice pool and pool bar, and the beach is just 30 yards away as you are right square on the beach! The location is nice too because it is secluded and you basically have the beach all to you, but your are just a few minutes drive from Cabarete and Sousa, which have numerous restaurants/bars/shops.

We rode for 4-days and if you contact Rob you can probably work out a deal to get 1-2 days more riding. We initially wanted to do 5 days riding, but after 4 days we were done (worn out) 😢

The riding itself is excellent. As you can see from the pictures there is a good mixture of riding and Rob can tailor the ride to suit your appetite. We of course wanted to ride a lot of gnarly stuff and Rob didn't have any problem finding trails that satisfied our needs. Our shortest day was about 40 miles and longest was about 60 miles. Most of that was on technical trail, but we also did beach riding, fast trails, riding through villages and farms, etc., etc.

It's also cool there because the locals in the DR think of dirtbike riders as heroes. When you ride through their villages they come out of their homes to watch you ride by and the kids cheer and yell for you to do wheelies. A couple of times we were riding through gated farmers and the farmers/locals would open and close the gates for us as we were riding through, it was a real treat.

Dirtbikes are allowed to go anywhere, just like mexico. We rode through puerto-plata, a fairly large and busy town, which was a trip in itself as traffic in the DR is crazy and dirtbike can basically do what ever you want. The stop lights there are only there if you want to stop, so if you can make it through then go for it (and we did 😢). You pass any way you can, weave in/out of traffic, ride up on the right or left, sidewalk, whatever works. I got a lot of practice time doing standie wheels in the towns too as the police don't care (and they don't have cop cars anyway)... whenever I'd see some people in these tour vans/trucks I'd do a standie by them and they whip out their cameras and start snaping away, that was fun!

People have been asking me if it's worth the money. I spent about $1700-1800 total including air-faire, meals and alchol, etc., etc. and I would say there is no question in my mind it's worth it and I plan to go next year for sure 😢. It was a lot more than just riding, experiencing some of the culture there and seeing a totally different country via dirtbike is way cool. Having the time to relax and play on the beach/surf was nice and made it into a complete vacation.

here is a link to all the albums grouped together, I have a separate album for each day we rode so there is 4 all together and then a 5th album with pics of the mini-resort and beach and other stuff:

http://trav.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/47135

😢

I looked at every pic. That's looks like WAY TOO much fun. So, did the owner just get fed up with the US and decide to move to the DR? It looks like he's got a good thing going on.

I bookmarked the site in hopes that one day soon I too can make the trip.

Thanks for the details and pics.

Matt

I don't think it's the case that he was fed up with the US. From what I have learned through friend's of Rob (the owner) and Rob himself is that he and his wife wanted to start their own business and his wife wanted to do the mini-resort type thing and Rob being an avid rider had to have something related to dirtbikes. It appears to be a great combination and working out well for them. I really hope they do well because both Rob and his wife are super nice people, they are those type that the first time you meet them you instantly like them. And I really admire what they are doing and glad to see them going for it 😢

"Travalina, oh Travalina, where art thou?

Give me thy KTM, boy: hence, and stand aloof.

Yet let me swing leg, for I would not be seen.

Under yond yew-trees lay thee single-track,

Holding thine ear close to the hollow ground;

So shall no foot upon the trail tread,

Being loose, unfirm, with digging up of ruts,

But thou shalt hear it: whistle then to me,

As signal that thou Orange Beast approach.

Give me those 2 strokes. Do as I bid thee, go.

Travalina, travalina. Where art thou?"

😢😢😢

"Travalina, oh Travalina, where art thou?

Give me thy KTM, boy: hence, and stand aloof.

Yet let me swing leg, for I would not be seen.

Under yond yew-trees lay thee single-track,

Holding thine ear close to the hollow ground;

So shall no foot upon the trail tread,

Being loose, unfirm, with digging up of ruts,

But thou shalt hear it: whistle then to me,

As signal that thou Orange Beast approach.

Give me those 2 strokes. Do as I bid thee, go.

Travalina, travalina. Where art thou?"

it must be a busy day for the wenatchee city planner 😢 :cry:

Bikedude, if I know you, you would probably break about a third of those bones by the second day! 😢

Just for a point of reference what did the airfare run you? We just checked around and the cheapest tickets we could find were about $900 each!! 😢 That put it just out of the realm of possibility for us.

Thanks

Jake Metteer

03 WR250F

Woodland, WA

my round-trip ticket was exactly $556 through orbitz. One of my friends figured out the best deal, but I did some checking myself and noticed you have to pick your dates carefully to find the good deals and book well in advance. We flew out 10pm on a Monday evening and arrived in Puerto Plata early Tuesday afternoon with 2 lay overers. This kind of sucked, but flying by night made the time go away and we had a good time hitting the bars during the lay-overers. Each time we got back on the plane we had a good state of mind going and tried to keep it up with beer served on the plane 😢

Great photos Trav, after looking at them all I get the feeling that your trip was the highlite of the 2004 riding season. Nice to see a guy spending his money on something so worth while. 😢

Great photos Trav, after looking at them all I get the feeling that your trip was the highlite of the 2004 riding season. Nice to see a guy spending his money on something so worth while. 😢

Ron, whats with the Husky logo?

Kelly

I'm jealous of Trav's week-long riding adventure! I had a blast with Torture, but our Sunday ride wasn't enough. Right when I got into the swing of things, it was time to head back home. I hope next time I can ride till my body won't allow any more riding, then hit the beach for a few days of healing! 😢

So Trav, did it get to a point that your body was starting to shut down on you? 😢

Kelly... I just stuck that logo up after I went out and bought a new bigbore Husqvarna chainsaw. I think the logo is the best one out there. When are you going to update your website with a couple of Stupid trail photos?

did it get to a point that your body was starting to shut down on you

yeah, the 1st day of riding 😢. it was funny because the 1st day was suppose to be an easy warm-up day. We hit the motocross track, rode through a few villages and backroads, took in a little bit of mud, enjoyed some tropical single-track, then things became interesting...

the first thing was this downhill: downhill pic. It doesn't look all that bad, but the picture does not do it justice because it was like grease on glass and nearly as steep as the reiter downhill we did saturday, and was way, way longer (the picture shown is just a small section of it). you had little control of the bike because it was so slick brakes weren't doing much at all. You basically slid gaining sped to each ledge then make a turn to slide down to the next. I was sweating a lot, but probably more from nerves than anything due to fear of wadding it up.

once we got to the bottom, we rode through a village and then next thing we know we are going up some hill that was just as slick with deep long ruts and nasty step-ups, root wads, rocks, etc, and the damn thing just went on forever and ever. Here is a picture of it: kerry and jerry dead on the up-hill. It wasn't extremely steep, but steep enough. Is what got you was there was absolutely no traction and you had to fight pushing and shoving the bike to get through the technical spots, it was a bitch.

It's that up-hill that got us all, Rob (the owner) didn't realize it was going to be so slick as he hadn't rode it in the rain like that. We spent at least 1-2 hours fighting to get up that hill. I felt worse at the beginning as I was really fighting hard to get up it, I became totally exhausted and just laid my head over the bars for a bit thinking I couldn't go any more. Then rob (the owner) showed me the trick as he went through a section, you just hold the bike pinned on the rev limiter to keep your momentum.

The rest of the days weren't as bad. Mostly rideable technical stuff and some pack & carry type sections, but nothing as grueling as that hill. Rob told us of some trails that were really tough, mostly hill climbs, but they would be too slick due to the recent rains and we already had enough after that first hill.

I was fairly worn out after the 4 days of riding. Part of it was that I was sick on my 3rd and 4th (caught a cold). Overall it worked out pretty good as we all received a good beating, but had time in between to relax and play on the beach and surf. It seemed like we didn't even scratch the surface of the riding there, so I hope by next year Rob has found a lot of new trails as his "job" on Saturdays is to find/explore new trails 😢