Sign in to follow this  

Michigan Riding Report December 4th for Baldwin/Holton Horseshoe area

Attempted to trail ride in the Baldwin area on Saturday afternoon with no success. Gravel roads were ice covered, and the trails were covered in 2-4" of snow at the Club 37 restaurant staging area. Temperatures dropped while driving from 44 degrees & partly sunny in Ludington, to 39 degrees and cloudy in Baldwin.

We turned south heading towards the White Cloud CCC trail. Same snow covered parking lot, trails looked like ice/snow mix.

Finally ended up riding the Holton/Horseshoe trails south of Hesperia. This loop has a new trail-head parking area. All trails were well marked, and very tight. Knocked my handle bars against trees a few times on the WR450.

Best time was had riding wheelies on the gravel roads and two-tracks. Four out of Six of us are street legal.

We had a nice mix of bikes:

03 WR450f

02 CRF450f

03 WR250f

03 YZF250f

01 YZF350f

03 XT225

Wish Godzuki could have made it! My new S12's provided tenacious grip!!!

Sounds like fun. Wish I could get out right now. All my weekends are booked till xmass. Things to due and my kid has hockey every weekend. Hopeing to get out 27,28,29 th.

Best time was had riding wheelies on the gravel roads and two-tracks

Ahhh so you were the ones making all the tire tracks that I found on the roads around there and the staging area when I got there Sunday. As I was driving up there I saw tire tracks all over the road and looks like someone was ridding the hell outta the parking lot (ie pit racing). Not saying you were the ones though. Just an observation.

I rode Horseshoe Sunday with 6 other guys. Had a blast. Even though I was on my ol YZ400. It was still a riot.

Yeah, we are partly to blame. We stayed out of the parking lot, it was still snow covered. And there were a few tracks already from some others. We mostly fooled around on the road heading north to the next driveway. The parents of our 250 riders owns the property to the north of the trailhead. The Horse shoe trail actually goes through their property.

After riding those tight trails, we were itchin' to open the bikes up a little. And of course, we always have to do the starting line drag race for bragging rights. The CRF450 always pulls ahead until I hit 5th gear, then I can catch and pass him! The 250's can usually get a good jump off the line, but after second gear it is bye-bye.

ahh so you were looking to see if your new tires would give you the grip you need to beat me, 😢 hehe now i see why you wanted me to go so bad hehe 😢. well ifnt a little 4" of snow scared ya you might have to wait awhile to get a run at me. ill still be riding when the snow comes down hehe 😢 howabout his weekend alittle snow might still be lingering around though 😢😢

Godzuki & other TTr's-

I will ride Cedar Creek trail in Twin Lakes/Muskegon if you want to meet Saturday or Sunday around noon?? Gas is getting expensive for me to drive up to Baldwin 2 weeks in a row. My 04 Ford sucks about 3/4 (15 gal) of a tank of gas just to drive to Baldwin and back.

that will work but i doubt we will be able to get zoltan to go there again hehe 😢 i hope they may have de whooped it.

Godzuki & other TTr's-

I will ride Cedar Creek trail in Twin Lakes/Muskegon if you want to meet Saturday or Sunday around noon?? Gas is getting expensive for me to drive up to Baldwin 2 weeks in a row. My 04 Ford sucks about 3/4 (15 gal) of a tank of gas just to drive to Baldwin and back.

Im in for that. Either day is fine with me. Say 10:00am and you pick the day.

Cedar Creek-Twin Lakes Saturday 10:00am is good for me, how about Godzuki?

Forecast for the area on Saturday:

Rain and snow showers. Highs in the low 40s and lows in the upper teens.

We will see how much the weather changes by Saturday

Cedar Creek-Twin Lakes Saturday 10:00am is good for me

Guess that means I aint gonna tear into the head on the YZ400 Friday night. Ive got to shim the valves. I guess I can hold off another day.

Rain and snowshowers ay?? Snow is ok, I'll ride in that. You can keep the rain though. Ill ride in the snow but not the rain. Not when its almost 30 deg out. Did that at Wolveriene w/ Godzuki. Aint doing that again anytime soon.

I will probably be game for Saturday morning. I got rain gear now that I need to tryout now thanks to that Wolverine trip. At least the trail shouldn't be covered with a thick layer of wet leaves that offer very little traction and hide all the little nasties.

Sorry guys, but riding at Cedar Creek on Saturday is not going to work for me. My cousin asked me to give him a ride to Ludington to pick up his new KTM 400EXC. We may stop by Cedar Creek on the way back to Grand Haven, if he wants to get his new ride all dirty.

Otherwise, we will be riding Cedar Creek Sunday am with some other guys.

yea sunday works better for me to. i might end up working on sat so sunday will work mucho better. ill be in on that one. ill see if wolfchild wants to go to. 😢 besides that snow wet leave combo was great for sliding practic 😢😢