Sign in to follow this  

Moses Lake Dunes yesterday....SICK

Went to the dunes yesterday, it was sooooo awesome. They were a little wet, sand was set up nice and it was about 40 degrees. Killer riding.

Hey, uh, Mitch... Anyone ever tell you you talk too much? 😢

I didn't think so! 😢

We need pics! I want one of Mitch in the sky, out of control, heading back to earth like a cat falling from a tree! 😢

Cats land on their feet.

Mitch falls more like a sack of spuds. 😢

OOOOHhh.... BURN... Does that burn Mitch.? JK

I drove out towards the dunes one day but never actually rode there. It was Memorial Day weekend 1996 and I took the exit off I-90 where the brown sign said ORV park. I drove out into the desert for probably about ten miles. I finally came upon a scene out of the Road Warrior. Bon fires everywhere with a zillion quads zipping around the place. The sand was at least half dirt and that maybe for an ugly dusty mess. I have not been back since.

My question is this. Is the sand there ever like beach sand or like Beverly Mattawa sand dunes? Where do you access the better riding areas?

And post some photos if you have any.

Greg

I used to ride at moses lake back in the early 90s, but just bought my first dirtbike in over a decade last month. i'm dying to get it over there but i was planning on waiting til at least springtime when the weather improved...i never rode over there during the winter, is it pretty decent? sounds like it's pretty damned cold anyways...assuming i could get over there from the wetside, i just might be tempted to make the trek. my buddy just started riding and i been telling him about how fun the dunes are, can't wait to get over there! 😢

i never rode over there during the winter, is it pretty decent? sounds like it's pretty damned cold anyways?

Winter is the best time to hit the dunes. The temps are cool, but you will work up a sweat to counter that. The wintertime provides the sand with some moisture, which makes it "tacky" and much better traction. Plus, no dust.

Winter is the time to ride the dunes.

😢

Winter is the best time to hit the dunes. The temps are cool, but you will work up a sweat to counter that. The wintertime provides the sand with some moisture, which makes it "tacky" and much better traction. Plus, no dust.

Winter is the time to ride the dunes.

😢

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!! 😢

Re-he-heally. I never really thought about it, but I guess it would make sense that there'd be more traction from the moisture. If that's the case, I need to see if I can't get over that direction sometime soon before I can't get over Snoqualmie Pass. Suhweeeeet! 😢