Sign in to follow this  

New carb or just new jetting?

I've been reading for awhile, but this is my first time posting. I've been riding a 2001 KLX300 for a season and really enjoy the bike. This is my first bike after 10+ years of not riding. My last bikes were two-stroke race bikes, so I'm used to a little more snap. It sounds like the Dynojet jetting kits help the KLX, but that a new carb maybe even a better option. Is a new carb worth the money? What carb is recommended? The local KTM dealer is a great guy and has a little experience with the KLX (I know, it's wierd, but he's really more of a rider than a salesman). He says that the new carb will really wake the bike up. What source should I use for the parts?

Thanks,

Jason.

2001 KLX300, 2003 CRF150

It might be worth the $60 for the dynojet kit to see if it is enough for you, compared to $500 for a new carb. I've never ridden a KLX with a pumper, but I know the dynojet really made a difference.

The dynojet kit will really help out. Will it be enough?? I don't know your needs, but I'd say it's worth a shot.

The dynojet kit will really help out. Will it be enough?? I don't know your needs, but I'd say it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the input, I'll probably go with the Dynojet kit. A lot of my riding is with my wife, who is new to the sport anyway.

Try the dynojet and make sure you remove the tiny exhaust tip from the stock muffler. Both mods make a big difference.

I just installed the dynojet on my 2000 KLX300R and it works great. I installed the kit per the dynojet instructions but it was running way too rich, and adjusting the fuel mixture screw didn't change a thing. I kept fouling the plugs and had no clue what was wrong. I called the Dynojet 1-800 number and he said that sometimes the hole in the vacuum lifter (the part with the rubber boot) needs to be slightly enlarged. He was right- the needle was not going all the way down in the vacuum lifter and that was the source of all of my problems. Anyway, if you do go with the dynojet, make sure your new needle goes down all the way. I also had the ACR mod done by Brewster and that works great too. Kicks over much easier now. I really like the KLX- much more nimble than my TTR250.

I started off with the dynojet kit in my bike, the difference is well worth the money spent.

I now have a 37mm FCR which is definitely worth the money ..... but I wouldn't recommend it on a stock engine. I see the TT shop lists a white bros 33mm Mikuni with all the bits and pieces required to fit it to a 300, already jetted so there are no hassles there. I would have to say that would have to be the best compromise between a dynojet kit and FCR .....

It really comes down to how much money you want to spend ....

Low budget = Dynojet

Mid budget = W/B Mikuni

No budget = Keihin 35 FCR

This info is great, thanks for everyone's help. At the least I'm going to get the Dynojet kit after reading these comments, but the 33mm Mikuni looked pretty good. TT price was a little under $250, which I may be able to handle. Would my throttle cables work with this carb? How hard would it be to set up? The only other performance mod on the bike is a White Bros. e Series header and silencer.

Where did you see the price for less than $250?

When I checked TT's price, here's what I got:

List Price: $344.95

Our Price: $310.46

You Save $34.50!

Just Fyi... I purchased a jetting kit from Four Stroke Works for the stock CVM carb and it works pretty well, but you will never get the snap you would from a pumper carb.

Where did you see the price for less than $250?

When I checked TT's price, here's what I got:

List Price: $344.95

Our Price: $310.46

You Save $34.50!

Just Fyi... I purchased a jetting kit from Four Stroke Works for the stock CVM carb and it works pretty well, but you will never get the snap you would from a pumper carb.

Oops, I guess I originally looked at the price of only the carb, not the kit. I may still be able to do $310, my riding season here in North Dakota is probably four to five months away, so I have a little time to save. Have you ridden a bike with the pumper carb vs. CVM carb? Thanks for the help.

No I haven't ridden one with the carb. I've read several posts on this forum and others that would lead you to believe it makes a tremendous difference.

I've had situations where I could of really used a twist and pull to get the front end up in a hurry, but I wanted to try the jetting first. I spoke with Jerry Leighton at FSW where I bought the kit from and he said that investing in new front springs will have a positive effect as well.

To really get the full effect of the dynojet kit, you need to trash the stock headpipe and get an oversized aftermarket header. I have owned 5 KLX's and the easiest and best bang for the buck for most casual riders would be to remove the airbox cover, install an aftermarket airfilter, remove the butt plug from the stock muffler, put on an aftermarket headpipe and install a dynojet kit. all this will only set you back maybe $250 total and it really wakes up the stock KLX. You would need to do all these mods to get the full effect of a new carb anyway and it might be all you need. As a bonus, these mods retain the stock muffler, the bike does not get obnoxiously loud, which lets you ride more places 😢

BTW the next mods IMHO would be to do some suspension work on the bike, just stiffer springs worked pretty well for me 😢