Sign in to follow this  

Please help, what the heck is wrong ?

Ok here is the deal, I replaced the shift lever return spring and put everything back together like it was. I add some new oil and coolant hop on the bike ready for my first ride after the fix and I notice first gear feels like second on pull away but then even worse, the bike won't go into second 😢 So all I have now is a weak first gear that feels like second and neutral, no other gears ! I'm sure everything went back together, I'm desperate what did I do wrong ? I'm pissed off with myself for not checking the gears before adding oil and coolant ... STUPID !!!

Ok here is the deal, I replaced the shift lever return spring and put everything back together like it was. I add some new oil and coolant hop on the bike ready for my first ride after the fix and I notice first gear feels like second on pull away but then even worse, the bike won't go into second 😢 So all I have now is a weak first gear that feels like second and neutral, no other gears ! I'm sure everything went back together, I'm desperate what did I do wrong ? I'm pissed off with myself for not checking the gears before adding oil and coolant ... STUPID !!!

Did you go any deeper than just removing the shift shaft and return spring? Did you find all of the pieces of the return spring? How much of the return spring is unaccounted for? Did you replace the retaining ring on the shift shaft?

Got the gears fixed, spring was pushing against casing because it has slightly longer legs than the stock one causing the bike not to change up into second. I think the weak first gear has something to do with the clutch. The rod that goes through the basket to the clutch cable arm, should it push against the clutch housing and be completely flush ? Mine is about a quarter of an inch away and I think this is not correct ? Also I'm so worked up I'm not sure which way round the spacer ring before the first clutch plate goes, should it bend to the outside or inside (to wards bike). The first thing I'm buying next is a manual, I should have taken some pictures beforehand as well. Thanks for the help guys !

PS yeah I found the old piece, it was a clean break.

"I'm so worked up I'm not sure which way round the spacer ring before the first clutch plate goes, should it bend to the outside or inside (to wards bike)."

If you want, you can just leave those 2 parts out. All the aftermarket clutches do.

The part about the legs on the return spring being longer worries me. Replacement parts should be exactly the same. Can you grind off the excess length to duplicate the original part? Are there other differences in the spring?

Dan, chill out, get a beer, relax 😢 You have access to some of the best motorcycle knowledge on the web 😢 . These guys will help you through this. Good luck.

Burned yes the return spring snapped at one end. After going to Suzuki I was told it would take 4-6 weeks to get the part. There was no way I could not ride for that long so I went to a local motorcycle breaker and got a used spring. I have no idea what it's from but it looks the same except for the longer ends which I cut down with my dremel. It works fine now but I will open the bike up again and put the new Suzuki part as soon as it arrives. I also removed the two spacer springs when I put the clutch back together and the bike is running fine ! The plates were dry (from lying in a box for a week) so that caused the clutch to be weak. I soaked the plates in oil and all seems to be fine now. Guys this really is the best forum ! Without all of your help I would still be minus a running DRZ 😢

This weekend I'm going riding 😢

OK, I see. It was not direct replacement spring. You are right, they all work about the same. If you have done a good job fitting the spring, I would not worry about replacing it with the Suzuki part until I had the engine open again for some other reason. What you have should work fine.