First impression of bored out KX100

Hello fellow KX100/RM100-riding women out there. It was time for the Little Grasshopper to get a new top end, so the hubby talked me into boring out the little cylinder. Put it back together and took it out this past weekend. Didn’t want to rev it out like usual during break-in, but I did carefully climb a pretty good-sized hill at the end of the day. Impression? MUCH EASIER THAN BEFORE! Maybe it has more low-end or maybe it just has more power-all-around and that made it easier; I dunno. I’ll relay more after the next ride since break-in is over and I can really test it out then. Just wanted to let ya’ll know about the additional performance! ?

Oh, I'm SO not that talented; LOL! The only thing I did was take apart the top end and hand the cylinder to the local shop; they did the boring. It's a whopping 110cc's now; WOOHOO! (OK, 10cc's is really small and unremarkable, but I'm still doing the celebration dance; LOL!)

So, Kpicha... yer welcome to ride it whenever we meet in Reno this coming February!

I'd LOVE to take you up on your offer! I'll definitely be checking out the expenses soon. My husband just told me he's going to be switching companies in January so I'm not sure how things are going to work out now but keep your fingers crossed.

10cc's on a 100cc motor, Hmmm, that's 10%. Don't let anyone fool you into believing that a 10% performance gain is a small thing, 10% is HUGE. You should definitely notice a difference.

In my experience, on anything with a new motor, it always takes me a while to realize the true potential of that motor. A few rides for break in (500 miles for my streetbikes) and then you (ok, I) still don't flog it for all it's worth. You kind of work up to it, exploring each little noise you hear like it's the whole motor coming apart! Maybe this stems from building my own motors a few times, but I am a little timid with a new motor. Don't mean that I baby it, I don't believe in that, but by the time I really hit it HARD, and hold it there until it won't go no more, it's usually been a while.

Anyway, this is just a long way of me saying that you probably have more than a couple fun rides ahead of you, exploring the new power your little (but now slightly bigger) engine is putting out. Have fun! ?

That extra 10 cc should make quite a difference. I remember just putting the Fatty pipe made noticable difference on mine. Just think...we might spend a few hundred bucks on a performance mod to sqeeze 1 more HP if we are lucky. I bet you will notice a huge difference with an extra 10 cc. I am guessing you are stuck running the race gas now. Heck they say race gas is a great performance mod by its self in the 2 strokes. Well, have riding your bored out KX. ?

Hey Pammy- I'm 4'10" tall and have come off of too many bikes to count trying to find the right one; LOL! Rode the little KX100 near Quartzite, Arizona last year and it seemed to perform well in the wonderful desert terrain that Arizona has to offer. Your signature says WR250F. Is that what you ride now?

Saltamontes, you aren't going to be happy until you get that thing bored out to resemble my CR500!!! I know you liked it when you took mine out at Reno! Face it, you are a horsepower junky!!!! ?

Did I ever send you the pics?

Hey Pammy- I'm 4'10" tall and have come off of too many bikes to count trying to find the right one; LOL! Rode the little KX100 near Quartzite, Arizona last year and it seemed to perform well in the wonderful desert terrain that Arizona has to offer. Your signature says WR250F. Is that what you ride now?

Yup, I have the wr250f. I started on an 80, then went to a TTR125LE (for 3 months). I wanted suspension and a little more power so I stepped up to the WR. I had the WR lowered and slightly uncorked. Its a great bike its just hard to man handle at times.

I'm looking for a lighter bike, but a bike with power and suspension.

04thumperx3, is your KX in TX?

Saltamontes, you aren't going to be happy until you get that thing bored out to resemble my CR500!!! I know you liked it when you took mine out at Reno! Face it, you are a horsepower junky!!!! ?
Oh, bbbom, it's kinda-sorta possible... well... OK, you're right. ? BTW, the pics were very funny; thanks! ... Hey, you live near the Idaho side of Washington, right? Have you ever ridden in Idaho? We just discovered it last year. WOW!

Pammy- Not only does it sounds like the little KX fits your weight-suspension-power requirements, but it also sounds like ya might have even found one! ?

Yep, in fact we are only about 20 miles from the Washington/Idaho border. We are on the Washington side of Mica Peak and when we go riding, we usually cross the line into Idaho.

There are some awesome trails in Idaho but a lot of it up here is fairly high elevations so the snow hangs around late and arrives again early. We didn't get a chance to hit Idaho (other than Mica) this year at all. We'll have to rectify that this summer!!!

So, when are you & Will coming over? ?

Hey y'all, we need to plan a big long ride sometime next summer . . . Bbbom, I have GOT to drag you guys into the Cascades! You would love it! There is so much riding up there. Some nice short rides . . . some grueling, ugly, long ones. July? CJ, how long will you be up for? Time to head a few hours west?

Saltamontes & other KX100 riders,

I read the "Beginners Bikes" thread & think it's great! ? I'd like to know more about this bike. I'm considering one for my sons next "trail" bike. He's the little guy ? in my avatar on the XR80.

I know there's heavier flywheel available but how is it stock on technical trails?

Is it near as pipey as the 85's?

It sounds like the suspension is good & it's light weight but I have reservations about getting him a 2 stroke. Does it require a lot of clutch work or does it have some torque down low?

Thanks in advance! ?