Sign in to follow this  

motocross child

New to all of this but my 6 year old son has decided he wants to race. Any suggestions for indoor practice in the winter. I have seen the waterman track in illinois . Is it a good track for kids?

I'm not familiar with that particlar facilty, but I have a suggestion. Be careful about allowing a beginner to practice indoors. The tracks are tight and the track gets crowded real quick. A new rider needs some solo track time to learn to ride without becoming preoccupied with other riders. Just a suggestion from another Moto dad.

Indoor MX is generally not a good place for a kid to start. The tracks are more technical and the racing is very close. A lot of younger kids aren't comfortable banging bars or rolling peaked jumps.

I've only walked thru the Watermann facility, never ridden it, but it looks extremely technical for a beginner. The facility in Farley, IA is a lot more laid back. The peaks are gone and the big catapult jump has been changed to a large tabletop. It would be a much friendlier (Friendlier than some outdoor tracks) but it's ultra-tight.

I've not been to the indoor tracks in MI, or in Ft. Wayne, IN, but hear they aren't as brutal as they were.

I'd have him learn bike maintenance over the winter with his Dad, watch some instructional videos, take him to some bike shows, subscribe to some mags, learn about his safety gear, then hit it next spring. Once he has a season of outdoor under his belt, take him inside next winter. 😢