Sign in to follow this  

YZ450F or CRF450

Hey guys I will be going to 4 stroke very soon and I was wondering which is the better bike YZ450F or CRF450. I know its a personal opinion but I'm looking both ways right now to which is better. I don't think I'm going to get an 05 model but what year is the best and with the less problems. Is there any years to stay away from. I'm looking at couple of 04 models.Any info would be great.

Thanks

Andy

YZ is most reliable. They say the Honda handles better. Although, I sent off my suspension to tootechracing.com to have Ricky work on it. So I have to best of both worlds.

This have been debated before. You should do a search and is the discussions. Honda's are notorious for value problems.

You should ask a mechanic which one he sees in the shop more. Yamaha is less than others, I will tell you that.

Keep it Down

04YZ250F Blah, Blah, Blah...

Sponsors: That would be Me. 😢

The YZF is going to be the more reliable of the two. In fact, they are almost unbelievably durable. The CRF has been pretty good in that regard, though some have had trouble with a coup;e of things.

I like the YZ engine better for a variety of technical reasons. It also is significantly more powerful.

I like the four speed better than 5 covering the same speed range. The bike doesn't need gears that close together. Geared 2 teeth higher than stock, mine has the same low gear as a 426, and will hit 90 on pavement in 4th.

The Honda feels lighter when you're riding it, even though there's very little difference in weight, and it seems to require less effort. The CRF is easier to turn (the '05 YZ is said to be a little better about this than the earlier ones), but the YZF steers better in that I feel like I can choose a line and stay on it more accurately than on the CRF, even change in the middle of a corner if I want to. The CRF feels a little skittish at speed, the YZF quite stable.

Honda's stock suspension is superb. The earlier YZFs need a little work, but the '05s are also excellent.

The CRF also seems a little cramped to me, and I'm not that big at 5'10". I have a lot more room, especially when standing, on the Blue bike.

It boils down to which one YOU like best. I recommend one of each. 😢

One of my friends has a 03 yzf450 that I have rode a couple of times and it seems to feel kinda heavy but that might just be me. No matter what I get I will have the suspension done on it. That is the best thing you can do for one. Thanks for the info..

Thanks

Andy