Hardening GPS power supply

I have a Garmin Etrex, with the cigarette lighter adapter. I read somewhere that I need to harden the voltage regulator for the offroad vibration, but I can't find the info again. Is that the small donut thing with the wire wrapped around it? Do I just encase it in five minute epoxy, or RTV?

Mine has'nt needed hardening. That thing is an RF choke and probably doesn't need hardened either. I did run wires directly into mine and hook them to the circuit board difrect wiring it to power rather than deal with the intermittent power of a vibrating cigarette lighter.... Hope that helps

I pulled my odometer off, and used the mounting holes and rubber bushings, to mount the bracket that holds my female connection. So maybe I wont get a lot of vibration. If I do, I guess I could just return it and try again.

I have a Garmin Etrex, with the cigarette lighter adapter. I read somewhere that I need to harden the voltage regulator for the offroad vibration, but I can't find the info again. Is that the small donut thing with the wire wrapped around it? Do I just encase it in five minute epoxy, or RTV?

The power supply is inside the cigarette lighter plug. Take it apart and use just a little RTV to stabilize the circuit board.

I haven't had any problems with my setup. I have an etrex Ledgend and have a cig plug that hangs loose behind my headlight. I plug the adapter into it and the only problem i have had is when the plug got rusted some. I can see how you may want to waterproof the adapter with some RTV though. I have ridden in rain with mine and no problems yet.