Sign in to follow this  

Question for wheel builders...

I've got a set Excels that i am lacing up to stock hubs, but i need to know the placement of the rear spokes. There is two lenghts of spokes, can someone tell me the correct placement of the shorter?, the longer spokes?

Thanks

look at the hub. Half of the holes are slightly closer to the rim. You should use the smaller spokes for these holes.

When I did my wheel I did all the longer spokes first. Then I couldn't get the smaller spokes in place. So I had to take out the longer ones and start over again with the smaller spokes. 😢

Here is another question to add to this...what is the proper way to tighten the spokes, meaning should you tighten every 5th spoke or ? 😢

evry third spoke as you go around the wheel. Start at the valve stem to help you remember your starting point. 😢

every third spoke as you go around the wheel. Start at the valve stem to help you remember your starting point. 😢

Looking at the outside of the rear hub, which spokes (short or long) go in the closest whole from the axle. This meaning looking at the wheel installed on the bike.

I got a marker and coloured in one of the spokes to use a reference.

Be patient when you are doing this. Trying to rush it will only make you take longer. Beer helps.

If one or two beers are good, 20 must be great 😢😢

While exercising this method, get it on video. I can almost garauntee you'll make enough from the vid to buy a set Hahn hubs and excels all done up!!

So i still need to know which spokes go where? ive got to get it done before pratice tonight.

So i still need to know which spokes go where? ive got to get it done before pratice tonight.

Shorter: OUTER

Longer: INNER

If you look at the hub it goes big(rotor/sprocket) to smaller(middle of the hub), then you will understand why the OUTER go's where they go and so on for the INNER. 😢

While exercising this method, get it on video. I can almost garauntee you'll make enough from the vid to buy a set Hahn hubs and excels all done up!!

I can sure make a tape of doing it......but how many riders would buy it?? 😢 Or would it be a waste of time and money on my part??

What spokes did you use? Stock or Excel?

If you used Excels, what part number, I cannot get the Excels to work on the stock hub! Excel Kit #XS8-13197...&%$#@!.

Dealer said you cannot use stock spokes with Excel rims, why?

some stock spokes can be used with an excel rim however the new excel rims (2003and up) do require the matching spoke set if you are having trouble getting the spoke set from your dealer see if white brothers can help they area distributor for excel!! 😢😢

How do you contact White Brothers?

I called the phone number on their website and they say it is for dealers only and I need to go through my local dealer.

Back to square one.

Can anyone tell me what spokes to use for the 05 CRF450 with stock rear hub and an Excel 19 x 2.15 rim.

Or better yet anyone that is close to Yorba Linda California, run into White Brothers for me and ask them for the part number for a spoke kit that will work on the 2005 Honda stock hub and Excel rim.

THANKS! 😢