Sign in to follow this  

Burned/Rapture/Throttle Jockey IDEAS???

I am hoping one of you have already experienced the problem I am about to describe and that you have a cost efficient and reliable solution....

I own a 2004 CRF450. On the left side of the carburetor right next to the choke pull is a part brass part plastic vent T-fitting with two vent tubes coming off of it. Somehow the hard plastic portion of this fitting on my bike has been broken. I contacted my honda dealer for a replacement and was told that they do not offer a replacement fitting and that the only solution is REPLACING THE ENTIRE CARBURETOR......AT NEARLY $600!!!!!

this plastic fitting cannot be literally more than a 3 cent part. I have had two mechanic buddies look at it. We have thought about pulling or drilling out the pressed fitting and attempting to replace it with similar fitting from an auto parts store, but if that experiment doesn't work, then we have truly destroyed an otherwise perfectly good carb. I am hoping tht one of you have sound solution to the problem.

I have pictures of the part that I can email if you would like to see it....

How much of the fitting is sticking out of the carb or did it break off right at the carb? If it has any part of the fitting sticking out you could either JB weld the plastic or just run the vent hose between the broken piece and the vent line.

Try this site http://www.keihin-us.com/fcr.htm call Keihin Directly, forget the dealer. I looked at mine and it looks like the brass is pressed in. Tough situation, you could find a smaller diameter metal tube that would press in the exsisting hole then glue and press the plastic piece on. a little more restrictive venting depending on the size tube you use but might work just fine. Better than drilling it out the first go around. Good Luck.

After looking at mine I would drill it out and get a tee from an auto parts store and JB it or silicone it back in. I would get the new piece before you drill it and then drill it slightly smaller than the O.D. of the new tee.

You can always sand down the O.D. of the new tee so it's a very tight fit.

I wouldn't worry about screwing it up, you can always silver solder a brass tee in there if you had to.