Sign in to follow this  

Major Problem - Engine Lunched itself

Gents,

Sad news - my baby carked it half way up a snotty hill climb on Saturday. This is what happened:

Top end rebuild was about 300km ago. I took deliver of the bike myself only two months ago.

On this hillclimb and I came to a halt just after the hardest part but kept the motor running. Noticed a ticking sound that you could hear on 1/5+ throttle. Sounded like a loose bolt on an external fasterner or cover but couldn't identify where it was coming from. Let clutch out to continue up hill - engine stopped in conjunction with a bloody awful metalic slapping sound. Could not kick engine over afterwards but could select nuteral. No smoke no smell after engine died. 😢 By this stage I'm mad as a cut snake.

Turned bike around and rolled down hill/cliff in neutral and got towed 20km back to car by mate on KTM 525 (let me tell you this was trickey in places!). Anyway bike rolling OK and half way back the back wheel locks up - I've now lost neutral and cant get it back 😢

Had to ride back with clutch held in for last ten or so kays.

When home I took cam cover off - no worries there - timing chain was fine, oil didnt smell cooked or anything either. I then proceeded to take side covers of gearbox/clutch assembly and again no sign of anything major there either. Deciding that this must be something major internal I took her to the local shop to get fixed (Bikemart, Ringwood VIC) - mechanic is equaly unsure of what has happened at this stage. Im now worried about the $$$ to get it fixed.

Any suggestions on what it may be? I dont ride it like a maniac (not often anyway 😢 ) , she just had an oil and filter change and I always keep the air filter clean.....

Help and sympathy appreciated.... Im meant to be riding in Victorian High Country this weekend if it gets fixed in time!

Cheers

Clint 😢

It could be anything in the bottom end or tranny. Something definitely let loose and locked up the tranny or the crank. It's just one of those things you won't know untill the bottom end is torn into. I snapped the cranshaft in half on my 250F and didn't even realize it untill I tore it down. All along I was thinking it was a crank bearing that let loose because the motor still ran, it was just a little noisy.

A complete bottom end rebuild including crankshaft and rotor assy. cost me about 600.00. This also included all bearings and seals/gaskets. All labor was done by myself, otherwise you can tack on another 500.00 or more to the total.

Could just be that you piston had a major break up of some sort and that a hunk of metal worked its way into a gear wile you were towing back.

Seems strang to me that the engine wouldn't even turn over and then have the tranny lock later on, as you describe.

Bummer, either way. And I know what you mean about the towing out. My friend swamped his YZ250 and the whole thing filled with muddy water. I had to tow him back to the truck about 5 miles. What a job!!

Since I've seen this problem happen before. It might be a bit different. But from the sounds of it, It's got to do with the kick-start. Maybe a bearing? Shaft? That will give you a problem like that.

Ok just got 'the' call from my mechanic.

Reason is apparently because a circlip popped off the gudgeon pin, snapped the conrod, rooted the piston, barrel and numerous other expensive parts.

Why gearbox locked up – no oil going through box while being towed (even though it was jogging pace) and has heat seized another expensive part to another – he said this isn’t such a major problem though.

I’ll get the bike back by Christmas apparently.

Mechanic also says that the guy who did top end rebuild may have failed to put this bloody circlip in properly which has caused all of this damage now. Talk about being p***** off. 😢

Compounding my complete disbelief is the fact that its going to cost me around $1,500 AUD to get it fixed (~$1,125 US).

Thanks for your feed back guys - I'll now retreat to my gargage and sob till I feel better 😢

Ouch!! This really sucks to hear. 😢

Note to self, Don't tow dry sump engine! 😢😢

NOTE TO SELF BY HONDA NEVER HAVE TO TOW!!! 😢😢

I do believe from your picture that you ride a 250r 2 smoke! It looks close enough to the one that I have towed for my friend to know that it is an un-reliable POS! Every time I ride with that guy I have to tow his ASS back to the truck. 😢

Why don't you take your Honda humpin self and post in the Honda forum. The 250r/x guys may need your expert opinion to fix a small valve problem! 😢

Later Foolio,

I love it 😢

Still haven't got my baby back though - hopefully this week!!!! Going riding on Boxing Day hopefully. Friends are saying that Ive got this twitch. I say its because I havent ridden in three weeks.

If you are going to tow it more than a really short distance, remove the chain guard and chain from the rear sprocket. Wire it or tape it out of the way. The bike will roll much easier too.

Rh

If you are going to tow it more than a really short distance, remove the chain guard and chain from the rear sprocket. Wire it or tape it out of the way. The bike will roll much easier too.

Rh

Wowwie, I didn't know this was a problem with towing... if it ever happens again, I'll know... thanks, guys! 😢