Sign in to follow this  

Offroad Guided Trips - Recommendations?

Looking to go south this winter and ride and was looking at guided trips in Baja and Costa Rica, or wherever it is warm. Has anyone been on any of these trips and which ones are recommended for a serious offroad ride?

I and a few friends went down to the Dominican Republic for 7 days stay at www.coastalmotoadventures.com and www.coastalcottagesbythesea.com. This is a mini-resort and dirtbike touring place that is owned and operated by Rob and Sandi Riley, previously from Washington state. I have a ton of pictures from the trip that you should check out (link at the bottom).

The pricing is very reasonable (IMO), you can check out the web sites listed above for more detail, but basically it's $1150 for 2 people to stay 7-days in one of the cottages, and the price includes 3-days riding for 1-person with the bike, gear, and lunch supplied. If you get a group to go down and book all 4 cottages then I believe there is a discount.

The cottages you stay in are 1st-class. They are very roomy and include cable, air-conditioning, internet access, private fridge, breakfast, etc., etc. There is a nice pool and pool bar, and the beach is just 30 yards away as you are right square on the beach! The location is nice too because it is secluded and you basically have the beach all to you, but your are just a few minutes drive from Cabarete and Sousa, which have numerous restaurants/bars/shops.

We rode for 4-days and if you contact Rob you can probably work out a deal to get 1-2 more days riding on top of the included 3 for a small cost more. We initially wanted to do 5 days riding, but after 4 days we were done (worn out).

The riding itself is excellent. As you can see from the pictures there is a good mixture of riding and Rob can tailor the ride to suit your appetite. We wanted to ride a lot of gnarly stuff and Rob didn't have any problem finding trails that satisfied our needs. Our shortest day was about 40 miles and longest was about 60 miles. Most of that was on technical trail, but we also did beach riding, fast trails, riding through villages and farms, etc., etc.

People have been asking me if it's worth the money. I spent about $1700-1800 total including air-faire ($556 roundtrip), meals and alchol, etc., etc. and I would say there is no question in my mind it's worth it and I plan to go next year for sure . It was a lot more than just riding, experiencing some of the culture there and seeing a totally different country via dirtbike is way cool. Having the time to relax and play on the beach/surf was nice and made it into a complete vacation.

here is a link to all the albums grouped together, I have a separate album for each day we rode so there is 4 all together and then a 5th album with pics of the mini-resort and beach and other stuff:

http://trav.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/47135

😢

Tim Morton at Bajaboundmoto.com.

We did a 7 day trip in Baja last spring with Tim, and it was incredible.

Great food, amazing trails, and a first class operation. 😢

You might want to add dominican republic to your comparison. i think there are tours there. i bet its inexpensive

Bajabound is great. Been 3x and going again next month. In a year or two, I will be trying the ride in Costa Rica.

Ditto, Bajabound is the best, Tim will show you a really great time. We stayed at really cool places, support was outstanding and he made it a truely memorable expereince. Soon as my boys graduate colege I'm taking them down with me.

hey trav what kind of bike did you ride there?

2003 or newer KTM 250 RFS

nice bikes, worked great for the terrain