Sign in to follow this  

Companies Against Our Sport

There is a discussion in the Rocky Mountain Section about companies that are against our sport. Here's a list of companies you should think twice about ordering from since they donate to organizations that are against OHV.

Outdoor Industry, click on the letter of the alphabet to see all of them. As Hokie pointed out, REI is on the list.

http://www.outdoorindustry.org/about.memberlist.php?letter=R

Sierra Club's current advertisers.

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/advertisers/

Conservation Alliance sponsors.

http://www.conservationalliance.com/currentMembers.m

Leave No Trace - You'll have to link to their partnerships to see all the companies.

http://www.lnt.org/partnership/corp.html

You forgot Honda Motor Corporation. Huge supporter of the Sierra Club. The corporate world is pretty messed up isn't it.

bmac

I realize that sometimes there will be no way around buying from certain companies. There are major players in these lists, especially in the clothing industry. However, if there is an alternative you really need to think about where your dollars are going.

They are profiting from our purchases and using those same $$ to shut down our trails and take away from our sport. Buying from them is cutting our own throats.

But when you look at some of the people who 'represent' the sport / pastime, then its not surprising that so many are against it. In the UK its only a minority of riders that are responsible, the majority are twats who couldn't care less about anyone or anything else.

We need to get our own house in order before attacking somebody elses surely?

OK... I'm ducking....

OK... I'm ducking....

Tell that to hypocritical Greenies driving SUV's, decked out with Sierra Club stickers, up to ski in the Vail expansion area.

Their motto is "It is OK for me to do it, but not you"

So I don't feel we need to get anything in order before we start fighting for out right to ride on public land that we helped pay for.

I'm with you on Hypocrits every step of the way believe me......

But you hit the nail when you said 'Public land'. Too many riders seem to forget that.

Tell that to hypocritical Greenies driving SUV's decked out with Sierra Club stickers, up to ski in the Vail expansion area.

Their motto is "It is OK for me to do it, but not you"

So I don't feel we need to get anything in order before we start fighting for out right to ride on public land that we helped pay for.

As you've probably read before: The definition of an Enviromentalist? Someone who already has THEIR cabin in the woods.

I'm with you on Hypocrits every step of the way believe me......

But you hit the nail when you said 'Public land'. Too many riders seem to forget that.

I am in agreement with you that our sport has an image problem due to a few (or maybe more than a few) idiots.

I still do not believe that we should wait to throw stones until our glass house is cleaned up. By then it won't matter, we need to fight while there is still something to fight for.

But when you look at some of the people who 'represent' the sport / pastime, then its not surprising that so many are against it. In the UK its only a minority of riders that are responsible, the majority are twats who couldn't care less about anyone or anything else.

OK... I'm ducking....

You should duck, I'd have to agree with your assessment of the Europeans I've met. My old boss was Swedish and he was an inconsiderate dick most of the time who didn't care about anything or anyone other than himself. Same with many of the people I met through him since our company did business all over the world. From your quote, I'm assuming you are from the UK. Start your own list and get people informed as to where their money is going.

My list has to do primarily with the USA and possibly Canada although I realize that some of the products are sold elsewhere. Here, many riders do care and for the most part, it's the minority who screw it up for the rest of us.

Again, what's wrong with letting people know where their dollars really go? I'm not attacking anyone, just laying out the FACTS. It's not easy to get this information since most of these companies will not release who they contribute to. They'll gladly take your money on Sunday and dontate to shut down your favorite trails on Monday.

REI has long been against us. Funny thing is they get trails closed to mountain bikers and the mountain bikers seem to flock to them 😢

That is because most Mtn Bikers are under the impression that they are liked by the SIerra Club which is far from the truth.

One of my good Mtn. Biking friends was talking about how we supported the Sierra Club etc....he was not too happy after I informed him that they hated him almost as much as they hated me. He did not believe me so I told him to go do some research, the next time I saw him he was not very happy.